Re: [Videolib] Sec 108 Roundtable - save the date

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Wed, 11 Oct 2006 12:12:17 -0400

--B_3243413537_108721394

Damn=20
If they scheduled it two weeks earlier I could try to get the office to
cover my trip to the Cubs
convention

On 10/11/06 11:37 AM, "Brewer, Michael" <brewerm@u.library.arizona.edu>
wrote:

> [...]
> Public Roundtable Announced for January 31, 2007, in Chicago
> =20
> The Section 108 Study Group will host a public roundtable on Wednesday,
> January 31, 2007, in Chicago, Illinois (exact time and location to be
> announced).
> Exceptions in the Copyright Act applicable to libraries and archives will=
be
> discussed at the roundtable, specifically those pertaining to the making =
and
> distribution of copies of copyrighted works pursuant to a patron=B9s reques=
t.
> The
> roundtable will address issues in the four following areas:
> 1. Amendments to provisions relating to copies for users (current
> subsections 108(d) and (e)) to reflect changes in the way digital
> technology is used by both rights-holders and libraries and archives.
> 2. Other amendments to applicable section 108 provisions specifically
> addressing copies made for users via interlibrary loan.
> 3. Amendments to the provisions currently set out in subsection 108(i) th=
at
> would permit libraries and archives to take advantage of subsections
> 108(d) and (e) for a broader category of works.
> 4. Amendments to section 108 requiring libraries and archives, as a
> condition of being able to take advantage of the exceptions, to use
> effective technological protection measures and limits on the provision o=
> access to electronic materials, including via performance or display.
> A Federal Register notice detailing the specific topics to be addressed a=
nd
> the
> procedures for submitting requests for participation, as well as written
> comments,
> will be published in December 2006. An advance copy of the notice will be
> available on the Section 108 Study Group website (www.loc.gov/section108)=
and
> the Copyright Office website (www.copyright.gov) in late November.
> =20
> Background
> The Section 108 Study Group was convened in April 2005 under the sponsors=
hip
> of the Library of Congress=B9s National Digital Information Infrastructure =
and
> Preservation Program (NDIIPP) in cooperation with the U.S. Copyright Offi=
ce.
> It
> is charged with examining how the exceptions and limitations applicable t=
> libraries and archives under section 108 of the Copyright Act may need to=
be
> amended, specifically in light of the changes produced by the widespread =
use
> of
> digital technologies. More information on the Study Group and its work is

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3243413537_108721394

Re: [Videolib] Sec 108 Roundtable - save the date Damn =
[...]

distribution of copies of copyrighted works pursuant to a patron’s re= quest. The
roundtable will address issues in the four following areas:
1. Amendments to provisions relating to copies for users (current
subsections 108(d) and (e)) to reflect changes in the way digital
technology is used by both rights-holders and libraries and archives.
2. Other amendments to applicable section 108 provisions specifically
addressing copies made for users via interlibrary loan.
3. Amendments to the provisions currently set out in subsection 108(i) that=
would permit libraries and archives to take advantage of subsections
108(d) and (e) for a broader category of works.
4. Amendments to section 108 requiring libraries and archives, as a
condition of being able to take advantage of the exceptions, to use
effective technological protection measures and limits on the provision of<= BR> access to electronic materials, including via performance or display.
A Federal Register notice detailing the specific topics to be addressed and= the
procedures for submitting requests for participation, as well as written co= mments,
will be published in December 2006. An advance copy of the notice will be available on the Section 108 Study Group website (
www.loc.gov/section108) and
the Copyright Office w= ebsite (w= ww.copyright.gov) in late Novem= ber.

Background
The Section 108 Study Group was convened in April 2005 under the sponso= rship
of the Library of Congress’s National Digital Information Infrastruct= ure and
Preservation Program (NDIIPP) in cooperation with the U.S. Copyright Office= . It
is charged with examining how the exceptions and limitations applicable to<= BR> libraries and archives under section 108 of the Copyright Act may need to b= e