Re: [Videolib] Quality question

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Mon, 09 Oct 2006 13:49:20 -0400

Ok an update. SKIP the KC version. Image put out a good quality version of
this and according to Amazon it is still in print. See if whoever you use
can get you THAT copy or find a way to buy it yourself
Seems to be about $22 and I am SURE it is worth it
You can even read someone who compared to the other versions in
The Amazan feedback section

You should ALWAYS beware of ultra cheap DVDs. Most are bad copies of PD
Titles. Kino has a LOT of trouble with this especially when libraries
outsource buying. We pretty much have the definitive copies of titles like
BIRTH OF A NATION, CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI,DR JECKYL & MR HYDE ( 1921
version) and a literally dozens of silent films but I go into libraries
And find some PD piece of crap on the shelf ( Nothing drives me crazier than
a 90 minute "restored" version of BIRTH that I have seen). In case anyone
ever encounters someone questioning why you might buy a Kino BIRTH OF A
NATION ( double dvd with oodles of extras) vs say a Madacy copy or whatever
That costs $15 less. Ask them if you can buy some copies of HUCKLEBERRY
FINN. JANE EYRE, SHAKESPEAR etc that are missing 15% of the pages,many of
the rest are lose and brown and they are marked with ink, they would of
course think you are NUTS but that is often what you get with bad quality
cheap DVDs.

On 10/9/06 1:14 PM, "Tatar, Becky" <bltata@aurora.lib.il.us> wrote:

> Hello, all,
>
> We've had a request to get the 1945 film of 'And then there were none,'
> with Barry Fitzgerald. The vendor we use has it available, but the
> price is $6.30, by a company called KC Sales. While I love a good deal,
> I also know that a free lunch is never free. Has anyone had experience
> with any materials from this company?
>
> Becky Tatar
> Periodicals/Audiovisuals
> Aurora Public Library