Re: [Videolib] Collection going to IT????!!!!

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Wed, 04 Oct 2006 14:02:48 -0400

There is not enough money in Harvard's endowment to track down and secure
rights to digitize & stream a whole University collection. Studio's will
NEVER allow it ( though they may allow systems where they allow downloads of
many films for specific time periods) Part of the problem in terms of
feature films is that people think of them like books with a single rights
holder but feature films have complicated rights even those owned by
studios. Underlying music and literary rights could easily stop a huge
number of titles from ever being streamed and don't even think of foreign,
independent, & non studio features.
Physical media ( VHS , DVD and yes film) isn't going anywhere. I hope the IT
Folks enjoy explaining that only PD silents and government films are now
available for courses due to rights issues ( a slight exaggeration but not
that much)

On 10/4/06 1:29 PM, "fpoole@udel.edu" <fpoole@udel.edu> wrote:

> Maureen...Have they secured the rights to put the video collection on a
> server? What happens to the videos themselves after they've been digitized?
>
> Francis Poole

> distributors.

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner