Re: [Videolib] Collection going to IT????!!!!

Brigid Duffy (bduffy@sfsu.edu)
Wed, 4 Oct 2006 10:45:18 -0700

Our collection has always been in AT (Academic Technology) rather
than the Library. Having the hardware and the media in one location
makes life much easier for teachers. I can also keep tabs on what the
faculty is bringing in to show, get a better sense of what they want
us to get, and get one of the shop guys to repair a broken tape very
quickly. The folks in the main library bought videotapes which are
kept in a student viewing area, but budget and available space issues
are cropping up there.

If you move the media, the budget to buy media and people have to go
along with the DVDs, VHS tapes, etc. It won't work any other way.

The technological and legal (copyright) problems of "on demand", if
that means streaming video from a server, are different and very,
very large problems. If your IT area is computer/Internet oriented
and not 'get the teachers what they need to teach with in the
classroom' people, highlight the copyright and service issues.
Professor Smith who is standing before 500 students in a lecture hall
will not want to hear that the server will be back up in a half hour
or that the video projector really ought to be working. And as you
know, university professors do know how to complain, loudly.

Good luck,

Brigid Duffy
Media Acquisitions
Academic Technology