Re: [Videolib] Streaming video rights for 1 class

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Mon, 02 Oct 2006 18:24:30 -0400

--B_3242658270_63421133

It just really depends what the films are and who owns them. Since they are
not feature films at least
You have a chance. I see educational companies offering streaming rights. I=
the films are currently available it should not be
That difficult to get price quotes.

On 10/2/06 6:06 PM, "Andrews, Sarah E" <sarah-andrews@uiowa.edu> wrote:

> This is probably a question that is best geared at the distributors or
> academics on the list=8B
> =20
> What do you think of the possibilities of this scenario? I=B9m considering
> applying for an institutional grant and need some advice.
> =20
> Professor V. regularly teaches a semester-long class to approximately 150
> students. 8 videos from a variety of distributors (NOT feature films) ar=
> screened in full, face-to-face, during regularly scheduled class times. =
Could
> rights be obtained to stream the entire 8 films on the class website ever=
> time the course is offered? Could rights be obtained on a
> semester-to-semester basis? The course management system would only perm=
it
> registered students to view the films=8Bwho presumably already saw the enti=
re
> film during their class but need to review for papers/tests. If possible=
, how
> much time and cost do you estimate in obtaining these rights? Or=8Bwould y=
ou
> just go ahead and not clear rights in this case?
> =20
> As always, thanks in advance for your advice & wisdom,
> =20
> Sarah Andrews
> =20
> =20
>=20

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3242658270_63421133

Re: [Videolib] Streaming video rights for 1 class It ju= st really depends what the films are and who owns them. Since they are not f= eature films at least
You have a chance. I see educational companies offering streaming rights. I= f the films are currently available it should not be
That difficult to get price quotes.

This is probably a question that is best geared at the distr= ibutors or academics on the list—

What do you think of the possibilities of this scenario? I’m consider= ing applying for an institutional grant and need some advice.

Professor V. regularly teaches a semester-long class to approximately 150 s= tudents.  8 videos from a variety of distributors (NOT feature films) a= re screened in full, face-to-face, during regularly scheduled class times. &= nbsp;Could rights be obtained to stream the entire 8 films on the class webs= ite every time the course is offered?  Could rights be obtained on a se= mester-to-semester basis?  The course management system would only perm= it registered students to view the films—who presumably already saw th= e entire film during their class but need to review for papers/tests.  = If possible, how much time and cost do you estimate in obtaining these right= s?  Or—would you just go ahead and not clear rights in this case?=