RE: [Videolib] DVD format wars will end?[Scanned]

Steven Harris (SteHar@library.lib.usu.edu)
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 14:49:55 -0600

--=__Part371365E3.0__=

When all of our video files are sitting on some humongous central
server, think of the wonderful discussions we'll have about classroom
use and streaming and distance education. Can't wait! :)

--Steven Harris

>>> "Mark Kopp" <mkopp@iu08.org> 9/27/2006 1:47 pm >>>
...at what point? It'll be sometime within that period when they
realize
that their DVD's are no longer selling and everyone else has made the
move, since DVD players will run the same gambit as VCR's. Remember
16mm
film?...Beta?...VHS? Do you realize that you are now witness to the
death gurgles of yet another form of video media? It was right here,
in
this forum and only several years back, that people scoffed when we
said
VHS was on it's way out. Many decried the idea, but VHS players will
not
be manufactured after this upcoming holiday season. VHS usage will
still
continue, until the machines can no longer be serviced/replaced...just
like 16mm projectors.

DVD's will be a short-lived medium, BUT...the part about re-tooling
that
you mentioned...that's the NICE part of THIS evolution. The same file
that created the DVD may very well be used...copied to the solid-state
media like any other file. I'll also bet you, dollars to donuts, that
the newest solid-state medium, will be even shorter lived than
DVD...and
think about the lively banter we will see, here, regarding the
manipulation of the video files and future copyright law, yet to be
written! Wow, it's gunna be some fun, eh?

I know, I know, you always say it's not about the format, but about
the
content. Think about this though...in the last ten years or possibly
less, some of that content has changed format as many as 4 or 5 times!
The CONTENT seems to be more flexible than the viewer.

Mark...happy to be a geek...Kopp