Re: [Videolib] reviews to help with selection

Kathy Olsen (kaolsen@browardlibrary.org)
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 11:39:34 -0400

--=__PartFADEA3A6.0__=

The ones I primarily use for TV shows and features are:
=20
Video Librarian: www.videolibrarian.com
Metacritic: www.metacritic.com
All Movie Guide: www.allmovie.com
Movie Review Index: www.moviereviewindex.com
Movie Review Query Engine: www.mrqe.com
Rotten Tomatoes: www.rottentomatoes.com
TV Guide: www.tvguide.com
Internet Movie Database: www.imdb.com
Amazon: www.amazon.com
=20
Many of these compile reviews from a variety of professional sources, which=
gives you a quick one-stop overview from reliable sources. I like Amazon =
because it gives me the opinions of "regular" people--just like our patrons.
=20
Kathy Olsen, Collection Development Librarian
Collection Management Unit, Libraries Division
A Service of the Broward County Board of County Commissioners
954-497-3661 x226 (phone)
954-497-3657 (fax)
kaolsen@browardlibrary.org
Broward County Library
Remote Operations Center
3718 W. Oakland Park Blvd.
Lauderdale Lakes, FL 33311

>>> daisilla@yahoo.com 09/20/06 11:06 AM >>>

I actually didn't know about MRQE, for example. Can anyone share other sour=
ces for reviews to help with selection? Thanks!

Daisy

Holly Sammons <sammons@onlib.org> wrote:There are many "G" movies out there=
with no rating, you really can't make
assumptions about them, there are many reasons for no rating. You can
always look for reviews there are many great places to get reviews to help
with selection - Video Librarian, MRQE, etc.

As to concerns about children taking them out, that's up to the parent to
know what their kids are viewing. And in my library, the minute we'd put
a sticker or warning on a video, it would increase its circulation and
probably get stolen!!

--=20
Holly Sammons, Librarian
Onondaga County Public Library
447 So Salina St
Syracuse, NY 13207

> Greetings, all!
>

> I'm the new video collection librarian with the Arapahoe Library
> District in Colorado, and have a lot to learn - I've been lurking on
> (and learning from) Videolib for a while, and finally have a question,
> especially for you public libraries:
>

> How are you handling the increased number of "unrated" DVDs that are
> being released? I've been ordering the MPAA rated version, but recently
> have had a couple of feature film requests that are either only
> currently available as unrated or only the unrated film is available
> widescreen. I've read online that "unrated" means that the DVD could
> just have added material that didn't go through the rating system and
> doesn't necessarily mean more sex or violence, although obviously often
> it does. I've also read unrated often turns a PG-13 film into what would
> be considered an R (if it had a rating), and an R into a NC-17. Any good
> tips on how to evaluate what the "unrated" means? I've only been doing
> this for a couple of months, and am not quite ready for my first
> controversy.
>

> Andrew Roth
> Collection Management - Video
> Arapahoe Library District

VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues=
relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, =
preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries an=
d related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effectiv=
e working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication =
between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distrib=
utors.

All-new Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done fas=
ter.

Please note: Except for state and federal exemptions, Florida has a very br=
oad public records law. Most written communications to or from County emplo=
yees regarding County business are public records and available to the publ=
ic and media upon request. Your e-mail communications may be subject to pub=
lic disclosure.=20

This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the us=
e of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have recei=
ved this email in error please notify the sender.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the =
presence of computer viruses.

All Movie Guide: www.allmovie.com<= /A>
Amazon:  www.amazon.com

--
Holly Sammons, L= ibrarian
Onondaga County Public Library
447 So Salina St
Syracuse,= NY 13207

> Greetings, all!
>

> I= 'm the new video collection librarian with the Arapahoe Library
> Dis= trict in Colorado, and have a lot to learn - I've been lurking on
> (= and learning from) Videolib for a while, and finally have a question,
&g= t; especially for you public libraries:

> How= are you handling the increased number of "unrated" DVDs that are
> b= eing released? I've been ordering the MPAA rated version, but recently
&= gt; have had a couple of feature film requests that are either only
>= currently available as unrated or only the unrated film is available
&g= t; widescreen. I've read online that "unrated" means that the DVD could
= > just have added material that didn't go through the rating system and<= BR>> doesn't necessarily mean more sex or violence, although obviously o= ften

Please note: Except for state and federal exemptio= ns, Florida has a very broad public records law. Most written communication= s to or from County employees regarding County business are public records = and available to the public and media upon request. Your e-mail communicati= ons may be subject to public disclosure.

This email and any files transmitted with it are i= ntended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are add= ressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. =

This footnote also confirms that this email messag= e has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.

--=__PartFADEA3A6.0__=-- VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.