RE: [Videolib] booking and ILL

Steven C. Matthew (matthew@fau.edu)
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:37:06 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C6DC98.598CD7A0

Here at Florida Atlantic University we lend media to other libraries through
our ILL dept. We check out the item to ILL for three weeks and they
stipulate that the patron on the other end can have it for one week.

We have a three week moratorium on media ILL at the beginning of the
semester to ensure that our faculty requests have been placed then its first
come, first served.

Steven

Steven C. Matthew
Acting Head of Access Services,

Media Center Dept. Head
S.E. Wimberly Library
Florida Atlantic University
matthew@fau.edu
561-297-4027

_____

From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Joanna Duy
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 2:52 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] booking and ILL

Hello-

Our library (Concordia University, in Montreal) is currently examining our
procedures for lending videos to other libraries. We have two "streams" -
one is a booking stream, where another library books from the library on our
campus that has the item, and they promise to pay courier fees and get it
back to us within a reasonable time. The second stream is to allow loans of
our videos through ILL. It is not always clear through which stream people
should be sent, and I'd like to look at this issue and debate whether we
should stream all external requests through booking, or through ILL, or
whether it works best to have these two separate streams, or whether we
should allow external lending of videos at all.

Our video loan period is 3 days so one thing that's not so great about ILL
is that courier service is not always used and so the items are kept longer
than the normal loan period, which is not very fair to our users.

I'm wondering if I can hear from other academic library media centres as to
a) whether they lend videos to other institutions and b) if so, do these
happen through an ILL office, or a booking system, or both? Do you have
booking policies and if so do you have a different loan period than your
normal video loan? For Canadian institutions, if you loan to other
libraries, do you ask whether it's going to be shown in public and if so
whether there is a license with ACF or Criterion?

Thanks very much for any input-

Joanna Duy

--
Joanna Duy