Re: [Videolib] "Unrated" DVDs

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Mon, 18 Sep 2006 18:46:50 -0400

--B_3241450010_431252827

Depends on the type of film. Most foreign, independent & classic films are
unrated simply because it is too expensive
and unnecessary to get them rated. I think we have maybe 1 in 20 of our
films rated and usually only the ones
Blockbuster might carry.
I would say if it is a major studio or box office film than unrated
probably does mean some extra sex & violence
which frankly is generally as a teaser to boost sales. The way you are
describing it, than the ones you asked about probably did have
added material because the types mentioned above ONLY come unrated. Multipl=
versions would be a clear sign
that the unrated version has more sex or violence

On 9/18/06 5:54 PM, "Andrew Roth" <aroth@ald.lib.co.us> wrote:

> Greetings, all!
> =20
> I=B9m the new video collection librarian with the Arapahoe Library District=
in
> Colorado, and have a lot to learn =AD I=B9ve been lurking on (and learning fr=
om)
> Videolib for a while, and finally have a question, especially for you pub=
lic
> libraries:
> =20
> How are you handling the increased number of =B3unrated=B2 DVDs that are bein=
> released? I=B9ve been ordering the MPAA rated version, but recently have ha=
d a
> couple of feature film requests that are either only currently available =
as
> unrated or only the unrated film is available widescreen. I=B9ve read onlin=
> that =B3unrated=B2 means that the DVD could just have added material that did=
n=B9t
> go through the rating system and doesn=B9t necessarily mean more sex or
> violence, although obviously often it does. I=B9ve also read unrated often =
turns
> a PG-13 film into what would be considered an R (if it had a rating), and=
an R
> into a NC-17. Any good tips on how to evaluate what the =B3unrated=B2 means? =
I=B9ve
> only been doing this for a couple of months, and am not quite ready for m=
> first controversy.
> =20
> Andrew Roth
> Collection Management - Video
> Arapahoe Library District
>=20

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3241450010_431252827

Re: [Videolib] "Unrated" DVDs Depen= ds on the type of film. Most foreign, independent & classic films are un= rated simply because it is too expensive
and unnecessary to get them rated. I think we have maybe  1  in 2= 0 of  our films rated and usually only the ones
Blockbuster might carry.
I would say if it is  a major studio or box office film than unrated p= robably does mean  some extra sex & violence
which frankly is generally as a teaser to boost sales. The way you are desc= ribing it, than the ones you asked about probably did have
added material because the types mentioned above ONLY come unrated. Multipl= e versions would  be a clear sign
that the unrated version has more sex or violence

On 9/18/06 5:54 PM, "Andrew Roth" <aroth@ald.lib.co.us> wro= te:

Greetings, all!

I’m the new video collection librarian with the Arapahoe Library Dist= rict in Colorado, and have a lot to learn – I’ve been lurking on= (and learning from) Videolib for a while, and finally have a question, espe= cially for you public libraries:

How are you handling the increased number of “unrated” DVDs tha= t are being released? I’ve been ordering the MPAA rated version, but r= ecently have had a couple of feature film requests that are either only curr= ently available as unrated or only the unrated film is available widescreen.= I’ve read online that “unrated” means that the DVD could = just have added material that didn’t go through the rating system and = doesn’t necessarily mean more sex or violence, although obviously ofte= n it does. I’ve also read unrated often turns a PG-13 film into what w= ould be considered an R (if it had a rating), and an R into a NC-17. Any goo= d tips on how to evaluate what the “unrated” means? I’ve o= nly been doing this for a couple of months, and am not quite ready for my fi= rst controversy.