RE: [Videolib] VHS format[Scanned]

Mark Kopp (mkopp@iu08.org)
Mon, 18 Sep 2006 11:43:41 -0400

"The sole manufacturer of the cassette carriage in VCRs has ceased
production by now" ... Is there ANY chance someone out there has
something "official" backing up that statement?...an industry
article?...anything?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark W. Kopp
Technology Assistant
IT Department
Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8
4500 6th Avenue
Altoona, PA 16602
P: 814-940-0223
F: 814-949-0984
C: 814-937-2802

From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of clarkjc@jmu.edu
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2006 8:32 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] VHS format[Scanned]

Folks,

Regarding the obsolescence of the VHS format--so far as interpreting
copyright law is concerned--one of the most important benchmarks, as
with fair use factors, is in the commercial realm.

I don't think any format can safely be considered "obsolete"
until current model players are no longer available for sale in the
marketplace. Note that this doesn't mean--as in the vague wording of
sec. 108 for libraries, talking about "unused copies" of
programming--that if you can still buy an old-stock, unused player (even
if it's not a current year's model release) this counts toward not
making the format obsolete.

I just checked Circuit City. There are still offered about an even dozen
models of VHS VCRs or combo players with VCRs.

The sole manufacturer of the cassette carriage in VCRs has ceased
production by now, I understand. So it won't be long before there are no
new yearly models of players released.
Then we'll start seriously talking about obsolete--instead of just
inconvenient....

Jeff