RE: [Videolib] VHS format

Mon, 18 Sep 2006 08:33:37 -0700

Patricia,

Section 108 is just for these kinds of situations. I think most people
consider Umatic stuff an obsolete format (I have moved a few things that
were worth saving off of Umatic to VHS using 108). Should VHS become
obsolete (in the legal sense provided under the law), then it, too will
be able to be transferred to new format. Of course, all of this depends
on this portion of 108 remaining the same. It may be modified in the
next year.

mb

Michael Brewer
University of Arizona Library A210
1510 E. University
P.O. Box 210055
Tucson, AZ 85721
Voice: 520.307.2771
Fax: 520.621.9733
brewerm@u.library.arizona.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Stockwell,
Patricia
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2006 7:32 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] VHS format

You know I am running into the same thing as far as old media not being
able to be played. And what do we do when the older media has nothing
to be played on. I had a request from a student who wanted a copy of
graduation from the late 70's. When I went into the archive room to
find it, it happened to be on what looked like the old Umatic size
video. (Don't know if I spelled that right.) Well I have no machine to
play that media. I have over 200 items in our archives at present that
have no media equipment to play back and see what is on the tapes.

So if we could find a source that could copy these to DVD format, which
would be considered the new format. How long would it last and would it
be legal? Or do you let your collection just sit and rot? I do agree
that VHS format will disappear very soon and you will not be able to buy
anything to play those items on. With new technology comes change and
with change comes new problems. So what is the answer?

Patricia J. Stockwell
Library Technician III / College Archivist
Pikes Peak Community College
5675 S. Academy Blvd. Box 7
Colorado Springs, CO 80906
patricia.stockwell@ppcc.edu