Re: [Videolib] VHS format

MileFilms@aol.com
Mon, 18 Sep 2006 10:51:39 EDT

--part1_486.a15dfae.32400c7b_boundary

In a message dated 9/18/06 10:38:03 AM, Patricia.Stockwell@ppcc.edu writes:

> Well I have no machine to
> play that media.=A0 I have over 200 items in our archives at present that
> have no media equipment to play back and see what is on the tapes.=A0
>=20

First, a decent used Umatic player can be gotten very cheaply just about=20
anywhere for $100 or so. Ebay or Craig's List would be a good start. However=
,=20
that's not your problem.=20

The problem is to identify which of those 200 items are one-of-a-kind and=20
their importance to the library, school and or community, and to have them=20
protected with back-up copies that should be properly stored. There is no su=
ch thing=20
as a permanent solution to preserving video media as of yet, but there are=20
several excellent sites that talk about video preservation and the best form=
ats=20
for long-term survival. A good place to start is the Association of Moving=20
Image Archivists' website at www.amianet.org and the second best thing is to=
=20
join. It's as important for a AV librarian to belong to AMIA as it is to ALA=
,=20
perhaps more so.

There also should be good local labs (Denver, Boulder, maybe even Colorado=20
Springs) that can do your transfer for the student to the format he needs --=
at=20
his cost, of course.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video/Milliarium Zero
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: 201.767.3117
Fax: 201.767.3035
milefilms@aol.com
www.milestonefilms.com

--part1_486.a15dfae.32400c7b_boundary

In a message dated 9/18/06 10:38:03 AM, Patricia.Stockwell@ppcc.edu writes:<= BR>

Well I have no machin= e to
play that media.=A0 I have over 200 items in our archives at present that have no media equipment to play back and see what is on the tapes.=A0

First, a decent used Umatic player can be gotten very cheaply just about=20= anywhere for $100 or so. Ebay or Craig's List would be a good start. However= , that's not your problem.

The problem is to identify which of those 200 items are one-of-a-kind and th= eir importance to the library, school and or community, and to have them pro= tected with back-up copies that should be properly stored. There is no such=20= thing as a permanent solution to preserving video media as of yet, but there= are several excellent sites that talk about video preservation and the best= formats for long-term survival. A good place to start is the Association of= Moving Image Archivists' website at
w= ww.amianet.org and the second best thing is to join. It's as importan= t for a AV librarian to belong to AMIA as it is to ALA, perhaps more so.

There also should be good local labs (Denver, Boulder, maybe even Colorado S= prings) that can do your transfer for the student to the format he needs --=20= at his cost, of course.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video/Milliarium Zero
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: 201.767.3117
Fax: 201.767.3035
milefilms@aol.com
www.milestonefilms.com

--part1_486.a15dfae.32400c7b_boundary-- VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.