RE: [Videolib] VHS format

Stockwell, Patricia (Patricia.Stockwell@ppcc.edu)
Mon, 18 Sep 2006 08:32:21 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Gary Handman
Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2006 2:34 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu; Herownword@aol.com
Cc: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] VHS format

Hi all

I think VHS is pretty much dead in the water as far as a consumer
medium. Seems
to me the consumer electronics industry will make sure of that. My
prediction
is that in five years (or less) you'll walk into a Best Buy, ask for a
VHS
player and get a blank "huh?" look. Sorta happening right now.

That said: we (librarians and archivists) be in big trouble. UCB MRC
has
around 25,000 non-fiction titles on VHS. A certain number of those
titles (a
very small number) will eventually make it into DVD. What about the
rest? What
happens when you have a collection that's crumbling into oxide dust by
the day?
A collection for which you can't even buy players any longer.

Makes me lie awake nights.

Gary Handman

> Jessica, I'm very intrigued with your comment that VHS is not an
obsolete
> format and won't be for a long time. What's your evidence
for/experience
> with
> this? Who is still using VHS? I recently (June '06) converted all
16 of my

> Women in Nontraditional Careers titles from VHS to DVD and am
continuing to

> make the VHS format available (might as well, at least until my
inventory is

> gone, was my original thinking). It's only been three months, but so
far,

> given the choice, not one single customer has chosen VHS over DVD.
Not one.
> do still sell some VHS of my Women's History, Literature, & Art
series that

> are still available only in VHS. I'm curious if you meant that
preexisting

> VHS dubs will continue to be used until they wear out or that titles
that
> are
> available only in VHS will still sell to reluctant customers who
would
> really
> rather buy DVD if it were available or if you still see people who
prefer
> VHS
> (and, if so, what their rationale is). Thanks for any insight and
I'd love

> to hear from others on the list about this issue, too.
>
> Jocelyn Riley
> HerOwnWords.com
> NontraditionalCareers.com

producers and distributors.