[Videolib] Re:distribution in the US

Annie Goldson (a.goldson@auckland.ac.nz)
Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:17:59 +1200

--Apple-Mail-3--153546814
delsp=yes;
format=flowed

Hi all, I have recently sent a message and am bereft, without one
reply@!

Dear all, I'm a professor and filmmaker at a University in New
Zealand and have recently completed a documentary which is a kind of
blend of classical music (Elgar's collo concerto) and a world war 1
story (the death of a young NZ soldier on the western front). I have
a UK based distributor for TV sales, but am considering an company
called CAM which is Australian based but with European reach, for
educational DVD sales in some regions at least. Has anyone dealt with
CAM (which was previously Hush)? Are there other distributors who are
good on the arts DVD front in the US? The cellist happens to be a
fabulous US player and does a brilliant performance. . .outside the
performance (and I use about half the concerto) the story is more
postcolonial in flavour.

Thanks

Annie Goldson, PhD
Associate Professor
Department of Film, television and Media Studies
Private Bag 92019
University of Auckland

+6493737999
+6493738764 (fax)
a.goldson@auckland.ac.nz

www.op.co.nz

On 18/09/2006, at 11:50 AM, MileFilms@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/17/06 4:36:19 PM,
> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu writes:
>

>> That said: we (librarians and archivists) be in big trouble. UCB
>> MRC has
>> around 25,000 non-fiction titles on VHS. A certain number of
>> those titles (a
>> very small number) will eventually make it into DVD. What about
>> the rest? What
>> happens when you have a collection that's crumbling into oxide
>> dust by the day?
>> A collection for which you can't even buy players any longer.
>
> Gary, I felt that way a few years ago as well, but since then, DVD
> burners and home editing have created a sophisticated self-
> publishing industry that didn't exist 10 years ago. Already there
> are some very obscure films that are available that would never
> make it worthwhile for even the Kinos and Milestones of the world.
>
> It's still very possible that thousands of titles will go out of
> print or distribution and I've suggested for years that a librarian-
> based organization should start up to preserve, promote and protect
> those nontheatrical titles much like the National Film Foundation
> does with their Treasures dvd series. But there's also a
> possibility that filmmakers will take back the rights to films that
> have been ignored by the distribs and self-publish through home
> distribution and downloading.
>
> Best,
> Dennis Doros
> Milestone Film & Video/Milliarium Zero
> PO Box 128
> Harrington Park, NJ 07640
> Phone: 201.767.3117
> Fax: 201.767.3035
> milefilms@aol.com
> www.milestonefilms.com

--Apple-Mail-3--153546814

Hi all, I have recently sent a = message and am bereft, without one reply@!

Dear all, I'm = a professor and filmmaker at a University in New Zealand and have = recently completed a documentary which is a kind=A0 of blend=A0 of = classical music (Elgar's collo concerto) and a world war 1 story (the = death of a young NZ soldier on the western front). I have a UK based = distributor for TV sales, but am considering an company called CAM which = is Australian based but with European reach, for educational DVD sales = in some regions at least. Has anyone dealt with CAM (which was = previously Hush)? Are there other distributors who are good on the arts = DVD front in the US? The cellist happens to be a fabulous US player and = does a brilliant performance. . .outside the performance (and I use = about half the concerto)=A0 the story is more postcolonial in = flavour.

Thanks

Annie Goldson, PhD