Re: [Videolib] VHS format

MileFilms@aol.com
Sun, 17 Sep 2006 19:50:43 EDT

--part1_505.583a3380.323f3953_boundary

In a message dated 9/17/06 4:36:19 PM, ghandman@library.berkeley.edu writes:

> That said:=A0 we (librarians and archivists) be in big trouble.=A0 UCB MRC=
has
> around 25,000 non-fiction titles on VHS.=A0 A certain number of those titl=
es=20
> (a
> very small number) will eventually make it into DVD.=A0 What about the res=
t?=A0=20
> What
> happens when you have a collection that's crumbling into oxide dust by the=
=20
> day?
> A collection for which you can't even buy players any longer.=A0
>=20
Gary, I felt that way a few years ago as well, but since then, DVD burners=20
and home editing have created a sophisticated self-publishing industry that=20
didn't exist 10 years ago. Already there are some very obscure films that ar=
e=20
available that would never make it worthwhile for even the Kinos and Milesto=
nes of=20
the world.

It's still very possible that thousands of titles will go out of print or=20
distribution and I've suggested for years that a librarian-based organizatio=
n=20
should start up to preserve, promote and protect those nontheatrical titles=20=
much=20
like the National Film Foundation does with their Treasures dvd series. But=20
there's also a possibility that filmmakers will take back the rights to film=
s=20
that have been ignored by the distribs and self-publish through home=20
distribution and downloading.

Best,
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video/Milliarium Zero
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: 201.767.3117
Fax: 201.767.3035
milefilms@aol.com
www.milestonefilms.com

--part1_505.583a3380.323f3953_boundary

In a message dated 9/17/06 4:36:19 PM, ghandman@library.berkeley.edu writes:=

That said:=A0 we (lib= rarians and archivists) be in big trouble.=A0 UCB MRC has
around 25,000 non-fiction titles on VHS.=A0 A certain number of those titles= (a
very small number) will eventually make it into DVD.=A0 What about the rest?= =A0 What
happens when you have a collection that's crumbling into oxide dust by the d= ay?
A collection for which you can't even buy players any longer.=A0

Gary, I felt that way a few years ago as well, but since then, DVD burner= s and home editing have created a sophisticated self-publishing industry tha= t didn't exist 10 years ago. Already there are some very obscure films that=20= are available that would never make it worthwhile for even the Kinos and Mil= estones of the world.

It's still very possible that thousands of titles will go out of print or di= stribution and I've suggested for years that a librarian-based organization=20= should start up to preserve, promote and protect those nontheatrical titles=20= much like the National Film Foundation does with their Treasures dvd series.= But there's also a possibility that filmmakers will take back the rights to= films that have been ignored by the distribs and self-publish through home=20= distribution and downloading.

Best,
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video/Milliarium Zero
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: 201.767.3117
Fax: 201.767.3035
milefilms@aol.com
www.milestonefilms.com

--part1_505.583a3380.323f3953_boundary-- VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.