RE: [Videolib] VHS format

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Sun, 17 Sep 2006 14:43:34 -0500

From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of
Herownword@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2006 2:25 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] VHS format
=09
Jessica, I'm very intrigued with your comment that VHS is not an
obsolete format and won't be for a long time. What's your evidence
for/experience with this? Who is still using VHS? I recently (June
'06) converted all 16 of my Women in Nontraditional Careers titles from
VHS to DVD and am continuing to make the VHS format available (might as
well, at least until my inventory is gone, was my original thinking).
It's only been three months, but so far, given the choice, not one
single customer has chosen VHS over DVD. Not one. I do still sell some
VHS of my Women's History, Literature, & Art series that are still
available only in VHS. I'm curious if you meant that preexisting VHS
dubs will continue to be used until they wear out or that titles that
are available only in VHS will still sell to reluctant customers who
would really rather buy DVD if it were available or if you still see
people who prefer VHS (and, if so, what their rationale is). Thanks for
any insight and I'd love to hear from others on the list about this
issue, too. =20
=20
Jocelyn Riley
HerOwnWords.com
NontraditionalCareers.com

------_=_NextPart_001_01C6DA91.90105826

Message

I think that some small producers = are using=20 vhs.  We have just had a specific subject request for 2 titles that = can=20 only be purchased direct.  I contacted the companies and found out = that the=20 items are only available in vhs.  Also, some studios are continuing = to=20 issue feature films in vhs - not a lot, and for only a short time, but = they are=20 still out there.  Despite the reports about DVD product saturation, = not=20 everyone has a DVD player, or uses a DVD-R.  And I know that most = of the=20 schools in our area have not yet gone the DVD route, yet. While our vhs = circ has=20 gone down, we still have a lot of patrons who check them = out.

Becky=20 Tatar
Periodicals/Audiovisuals
Aurora Public=20 Library
1 E.=20 Benton Street