Re: [Videolib] Full length films on eReserve

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Fri, 15 Sep 2006 12:46:20 -0400

--B_3241169181_414406197

Face to Face requires the physical presence of the instructor so unless he
is dropping by dorm rooms etc that is out

On 9/15/06 12:17 PM, "Daisy Dominguez" <daisilla@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Electronic reserves are usually password-protected so that only the stude=
nts
> in your face-to-face instruction sessions can have access and you usually=
have
> to accept the copyright statement before moving on to the article. Does t=
hat
> make a difference, so long as you discard the digitized version after tha=
> semester? Also, isn't there a way to stream it (I'm not sure the term) wh=
ere
> it will technically prevent someone from downloading it? I'm just checkin=
g...
> =20
> =20
> =20
> Daisy
> =20
>=20
> Jessica Rosner <jrosner@kino.com> wrote:
> =20
>> Well you can=B9t digitize any copyrighted film without a license from the
>> rights holder so I don=B9t
>> think the method makes much difference.
>> I really don=B9t know what if any licenses from studios allow this but th=
en I
>> am pretty far behind.
>> I gather there are some companies who have deals with some rights holder=
s for
>> downloading material
>> But I am kind of clueless that titles or types are available
>>=20
>> I know that we don=B9t even have these rights for much of our library so I
>> couldn=B9t license many of our titles if I wanted
>> To. Frankly I think this would go back to the same problem as PPR at
>> universities. Since there are thousands
>> Of CRUCIAL titles ( Chaplin, Fassbinder whatever) you could never ge=
>> rights on, it is a MESS
>> Technology is just way ahead of rights issues and I know a lot of cranky
>> rights holders who may never
>> Agree to this
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> On 9/15/06 10:44 AM, "Sakarya, Mustafa" <MSakarya@mercy.edu> wrote:
>>=20
>> =20
>>> Hello,
>>> =20
>>> I hope some of you may have encountered this issue and can give our lib=
rary
>>> some direction.
>>> =20
>>> Is it legal to put a full length copyrighted film on electronic reserve=
for
>>> students to download? What if the film is streamed instead?
> [...]

Re: [Videolib] Full length films on eReserve Face = to Face requires the physical presence  of the instructor so unless he = is dropping by dorm rooms etc that is out

Electronic reserves are usually password-protected so t= hat only the students in your face-to-face instruction sessions can have acc= ess and you usually have to accept the copyright statement before moving on = to the article. Does that make a difference, so long as you discard the digi= tized version after that semester? Also, isn't there a way to stream it (I'm= not sure the term) where it will technically prevent someone from downloadi= ng it? I'm just checking...

Daisy

Jessica Rosner <jrosner@kino.com> wrote:

Well you can’t digitize any copyrighted film with= out a license from the  rights holder so I don’t
think the method makes  much difference.
I really don’t know what if any licenses  from studios allow thi= s but then I am pretty far behind.
I gather there are some companies who have deals with some rights holders f= or downloading material
But I am kind of clueless that titles or types are available

I know that we don’t even have these rights for much of our library s= o I couldn’t license many of our titles if I wanted
To. Frankly I think this would go back to the same  problem as PPR at = universities. Since there are thousands
Of CRUCIAL titles  ( Chaplin, Fassbinder  whatever) you  cou= ld  never get rights on, it is a MESS
Technology is just way ahead of rights issues and I know a lot of cranky ri= ghts holders who may never
Agree to this

I hope some of you may have encountered this issue and can give our library= some direction.

Is it legal to put a full length copyrighted film on electronic reserve for= students to download?   What if the film is streamed instead? &nb= sp;

Get your email and more, right on th= e  new Yahoo.com <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=3D42973/*http://www.yahoo.co= m/preview>