Re: [Videolib] Would like your thoughts on this one

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Fri, 15 Sep 2006 12:19:49 -0400

Late response but I find this stuff MUCH more insidious than what Newsreel
does. This is really just greed and having your cake & eating it too.
When a title is clearly available and marketed for home use as opposed to
sort of throwing in the individual purchase option for some sadly rarified
titles, than I find it offensive
I think you should ALWAYS find a way to get around this using procurement
card. One the bad things about this stuff is that some institutional
bureaucracy's make it impossible to get around stuff like this

I know folks who have to use their personal credit cards and wait a long
time to get reimbursed.

On 9/14/06 1:39 PM, "Adrienne Howard" <ahoward@pps.k12.or.us> wrote:

> Actually, I run into this quite often. In a K-12 school district, PBS
> and Discovery channel programs are very popular.
>
> Current Example: From the Discovery Channel store I can purchase the
> new "China Rises" series (4 DVD set) for $34.95. However, from the
> Discovery School Teacher Store, the same 4 DVD set is $219.95 (just
> about 6 times more). I have actually had PBS refuse to fill an order I
> faxed them because I entered the "Home Use" price for an item.
>
> I believe I have also run into this while purchasing programs from ABC
> News.
>
> We have gotten around this at times by using a procurement credit card
> to purchase the items online. Other times, we have just gone ahead and
> paid what they wanted.
>

> Adrienne Howard
> Portland Public Schools
> Multimedia Library - BESC/L2-30