Re: [Videolib] Full length films on eReserve

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:16:05 -0400

--B_3241163766_414076393

Well you can=B9t digitize any copyrighted film without a license from the
rights holder so I don=B9t
think the method makes much difference.
I really don=B9t know what if any licenses from studios allow this but then =
am pretty far behind.
I gather there are some companies who have deals with some rights holders
for downloading material
But I am kind of clueless that titles or types are available

I know that we don=B9t even have these rights for much of our library so I
couldn=B9t license many of our titles if I wanted
To. Frankly I think this would go back to the same problem as PPR at
universities. Since there are thousands
Of CRUCIAL titles ( Chaplin, Fassbinder whatever) you could never get
rights on, it is a MESS
Technology is just way ahead of rights issues and I know a lot of cranky
rights holders who may never
Agree to this

On 9/15/06 10:44 AM, "Sakarya, Mustafa" <MSakarya@mercy.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
> =20
> I hope some of you may have encountered this issue and can give our libra=
ry
> some direction.
> =20
> Is it legal to put a full length copyrighted film on electronic reserve f=
or
> students to download? What if the film is streamed instead?
> =20
> Thanks everyone for your help
> =20
> Mustafa Sakarya
> Head of Library Media Services
> Mercy College, Dobbs Ferry, NY
>=20

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3241163766_414076393

Re: [Videolib] Full length films on eReserve Well = you can’t digitize any copyrighted film without a license from the &nb= sp;rights holder so I don’t
think the method makes  much difference.
I really don’t know what if any licenses  from studios allow thi= s but then I am pretty far behind.
I gather there are some companies who have deals with some rights holders f= or downloading material
But I am kind of clueless that titles or types are available

I know that we don’t even have these rights for much of our library s= o I couldn’t license many of our titles if I wanted
To. Frankly I think this would go back to the same  problem as PPR at = universities. Since there are thousands
Of CRUCIAL titles  ( Chaplin, Fassbinder  whatever) you  cou= ld  never get rights on, it is a MESS
Technology is just way ahead of rights issues and I know a lot of cranky ri= ghts holders who may never
Agree to this

I hope some of you may have encountered this issue and can give our library= some direction.

Is it legal to put a full length copyrighted film on electronic reserve for= students to download?   What if the film is streamed instead? &nb= sp;