Re: [Videolib] Would like your thoughts on this one

Jerry Notaro (notaro@stpt.usf.edu)
Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:32:20 -0400

--B_3241092740_41416710

AND one of the reasons we buy so many of your products!

Jerry

> Truthfully, it's amazing to me that they are actively trying to lose you as a
> customer and you are fighting with them just so you can remain their customer.
> It should be the other way around! Seeing this makes me VERY glad that we
> offer all of our content to the educational market at our "home video" prices
> .... (aside from the fact I couldn't morally justify this to myself!).
>

> Regards,
> Shawn Brock
> Manager, Education Sales
> The History Channel
> 203-353-7217
> shawn.brock@aetn.com
>
> .

--B_3241092740_41416710

Re: [Videolib] Would like your thoughts on this one AND o= ne of the reasons we buy so many of your products!

[...]

How 'bout my pointing out that the  disclaimer they issue states "= ;videocassette" and I was in fact going to  purchase the DVD? &nbs= p;I still kinda like that one as a way around it.  :))

And yeah, Jessica, I've had it happen before (with a diff. company)  t= hat they called me when I tried to place an order for home use video w/ my &= nbsp;college credit card and told me they could not complete the order. &nbs= p;In  that case, I just logged back on their site, used my personal cre= dit card, had  it shipped to my home addy, then got reimbursed by the c= ollege.   Illegal?  I don't think so.  Unethical?  = I don't think  so.  In that case there wasn't any "contract&q= uot; situation; they just didn't  want to sell a video labelled home us= e to someone at an institution, and I  thought that was balderdash sinc= e I was purchasing for library use.

[...]

 However.  Now there is a "home video" option at, not &= nbsp;surprisingly, a lower price yet.  Here's the warning one gets &nbs= p;when one puts such an item in one's cart:

 HOME VIDEO - program comes with a  warning= against classroom use periodically during the program - more  informat= ion The "more information" link provides this:

 Home video purchasers may use the  videos = in non-institutional contexts only. At two points during home  video vi= deocassettes script will appear over the image stating that  this video= cassette has been purchased for home use only and may not be  used in c= lass, circulated in an institutional library or be exhibited  to the ge= neral public.

Now, I just don't think this can be done.  Once a "home u= se"  option has been offered up, it's fair game for libraries whos= e  collections are used only for 1) individual checkout or 2) classroom=  use.  WE DON'T NEED PPR in our case, because this will be used i= n  only those two ways I've just mentioned, and we are COVERED by the &= nbsp;face-to-face teaching exemption.  Or is the insertion of this &nbs= p;script in the video supposed to act as a "contract" between sell= er  & buyer?