Re: [Videolib] Would like your thoughts on this one

Susan Albrecht (albrechs@wabash.edu)
Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:48:13 -0400

--=====================_14515281==.ALT

So in other words, you'd purchase at the college/university price, Gary?

What about the fact that, heh, it says "this videocassette" and I was
going to purchase the DVD? ;-)

Susan

At 11:01 AM 9/14/2006, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>You know that lyric in "Yankee Doodle" that goes "stuck a feather in
>his cap and called it macaroni"? That's what these guys are
>doing. What they're basically doing is selling this work to you
>with expressly stated contractual conditions...doesn't matter if
>they're calling it macaroni (HOME VIDEO) or not. That's what I think.
>
>Gary

>Susan, originally:
>>
>>>Hey, everyone.
>>>
>>>I'd love to know what you all think of this. A well-respected (by
>>>me, too!) company from whom I've purchased many times in the past
>>>has always had a distinction between college/corporate use and
>>>public library/high school use in its pricing. This I know is
>>>their perogative, because it's simple price tiering with no kind
>>>of claim made about usage needs.
>>>
>>>However. Now there is a "home video" option at, not surprisingly,
>>>a lower price yet. Here's the warning one gets when one puts such
>>>an item in one's cart:
>>>
>>> * HOME VIDEO - program comes with a warning against classroom
>>> use periodically during the program - more information
>>>The "more information" link provides this:
>>>
>>>Home video purchasers may use the videos in non-institutional
>>>contexts only. At two points during home video videocassettes
>>>script will appear over the image stating that this videocassette
>>>has been purchased for home use only and may not be used in class,
>>>circulated in an institutional library or be exhibited to the general public.
>>>

>>>Now, I just don't think this can be done. Once a "home use"
>>>option has been offered up, it's fair game for libraries whose
>>>collections are used only for 1) individual checkout or 2)
>>>classroom use. WE DON'T NEED PPR in our case, because this will
>>>be used in only those two ways I've just mentioned, and we are
>>>COVERED by the face-to-face teaching exemption. Or is the
>>>insertion of this script in the video supposed to act as a
>>>"contract" between seller & buyer?
>>>
>>>Am I wrong to feel justified in purchasing the "Home Video" option?
>>>
>>>Susan at Wabash College

Susan Albrecht
Acquisitions Coordinator
Wabash College Lilly Library