Re: [Videolib] Would like your thoughts on this one

Thu, 14 Sep 2006 08:01:49 -0700

--=====================_104070906==.ALT

Hi

You know that lyric in "Yankee Doodle" that goes "stuck a feather in
his cap and called it macaroni"? That's what these guys are
doing. What they're basically doing is selling this work to you with
expressly stated contractual conditions...doesn't matter if they're
calling it macaroni (HOME VIDEO) or not. That's what I think.

Gary

At 07:18 AM 9/14/2006, you wrote:
>Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 10:18:52 -0400
>To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
>From: Susan Albrecht <albrechs@wabash.edu>
>Subject: [Videolib] Would like your thoughts on this one
>Sender: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
>
>>Hey, everyone.
>>
>>I'd love to know what you all think of this. A well-respected (by
>>me, too!) company from whom I've purchased many times in the past
>>has always had a distinction between college/corporate use and
>>public library/high school use in its pricing. This I know is
>>their perogative, because it's simple price tiering with no kind of
>>claim made about usage needs.
>>
>>However. Now there is a "home video" option at, not surprisingly,
>>a lower price yet. Here's the warning one gets when one puts such
>>an item in one's cart:
>>
>> * HOME VIDEO - program comes with a warning against classroom
>> use periodically during the program - more information
>>The "more information" link provides this:
>>
>>Home video purchasers may use the videos in non-institutional
>>contexts only. At two points during home video videocassettes
>>script will appear over the image stating that this videocassette
>>has been purchased for home use only and may not be used in class,
>>circulated in an institutional library or be exhibited to the general public.
>>

>>Now, I just don't think this can be done. Once a "home use" option
>>has been offered up, it's fair game for libraries whose collections
>>are used only for 1) individual checkout or 2) classroom use. WE
>>DON'T NEED PPR in our case, because this will be used in only those
>>two ways I've just mentioned, and we are COVERED by the
>>face-to-face teaching exemption. Or is the insertion of this
>>script in the video supposed to act as a "contract" between seller & buyer?
>>
>>Am I wrong to feel justified in purchasing the "Home Video" option?
>>
>>Susan at Wabash College
>

>Susan Albrecht
>Acquisitions Coordinator
>Wabash College Lilly Library
>Crawfordsville, IN
>x6216
>albrechs@wabash.edu

>"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."--Neil Peart

UC Berkeley

*****

spectacles."
--Guy Debord