Re: [Videolib] iTunes Movies - Thinking Ahead

Tue, 12 Sep 2006 16:58:48 -0700

well...

Ever think about trying to watch Lawrence of Arabia (originally shot
in 70mm) on an ipod...? We seem to be settling for less and less in
the name of "progress". Even more depressing than listening to
George Szell conduct the Beethoven "Eroica" in mp3.

Gary H.

At 04:43 PM 9/12/2006, you wrote:
>Hi fellow Videolib people,
>
>So Apple now has movies available for download, as does amazon.com -
>we have been thinking around the office about what that may mean for
>video collections. Technological issues aside (and that can be a big
>aside) :
>
>You can download a feature film to a server and show it in a
>classroom (through a video projector or tv in a classroom connected
>to the server), under the face-to-face teaching copyright exemption,
>right?
>
>But you can't do the same for an online class, as it is not face-to-
>face teaching, also right? Even if you use passwords to limit access,
>as you do for any other class materials?
>
>And this also means that if you back up your server as any sensible
>computer person insists, you have to pay for the backup copy, because
>that's another copy, right?
>
>Nobody has asked us these questions yet, but somebody will...
>

>Brigid Duffy
>Media Acquisitions
>Academic Technology
>San Francisco State University