RE: [Videolib] ppr

Ciara Healy (cmhealy@waketech.edu)
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:16:25 -0400

Sarah,
Here is what I think the correct responses will be:

a) No
b) Hell no
c) Ummmm... no.
d) Nope

We'd like to think that we own the films we purchase. Ownership isn't the right model. Maybe the car you drove in high school was yours, like you owned it. But come home late on a school night with your shirt on back to front and you find out whose car it really, really is.

>>> sarah-andrews@uiowa.edu 9/12/2006 6:30 pm >>>
So, what is your opinion of the legality of these scenarios?

a. Professor plans to screen a film for face-to-face teaching, but happens to move the screening to a large auditorium and invite students from the entire department to the screening. Other than an intro, no instruction happens at the screening.
b. Professor organizes scholarly conference and will be screening films as part of the conference. The conference is organized by a graduate class, but attendees come from throughout the U.S.
c. HR unit at nonprofit educational institution wants to screen videos to groups of employees to raise cultural awareness.
d. Social work students want to screen a film to a group of high-school students they are working with as part of a practicum project.

I seem to have a lot to say today!
Sarah Andrews

University of Iowa Libraries