Re: [Videolib] ppr

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 18:08:17 -0400

--B_3240929299_399997789

True but mixed up reasoning. =E2=80=9CFace to Face=E2=80=9D is what covers use of films=
in
classes
=E2=80=9CFair Use=E2=80=9D is something totally different and I don=E2=80=99t want to start t=
hat one
again just making clear they are not related
To each other.

On 9/12/06 5:50 PM, "Daisy Dominguez" <daisilla@yahoo.com> wrote:

> So, just to be clear: the *only* way that you can show a film at a colleg=
> fillm festival, for example, where you do *not* charge entrance fee, OR, =
for
> example, on a scholarly panel discussing film which is open to the whole
> campus and perhaps to the public is *if* you have public performance righ=
ts.
> If you don't have PPR, you cannot show under fair use law because you are=
not
> involved in face-to-face instruction. Sorry I had to be real specific but
> everyone seems to have a different take on it.
> =20
> =20
> =20
> I am going to start asking our cataloging people to enter a note abuot PP=
R in
> [...]
lly
>> feasible, the reception of such transmission is limited to =C2=AD
>>=20
>> (i) students officially enrolled in the course for which the transmissio=
n is
>> made; or
>>=20
>> (ii) officers or employees of governmental bodies as a part of their off=
icial
>> duties or employment; and
>>=20
>>=20
>> Gary Handman
>>=20
>> At 10:15 AM 9/12/2006, you wrote:
>>=20
>> =20
>>> This is a slightly different take on the current subject, public
>>> performance. Below is a link to an IUPUI web page that seems to
>>> indicate that non-classroom campus video showings may be permissible.
>>> The specific phrase in the second example is:
>>>=20
>>> "The performance is part of a teaching activity, however it does not
>>> have to be part of a regular course; therefore, host a related
>>> discussion forum or arrange for a student or instructor to lead an
>>> educational program related to the film."
>>>=20
>>> Does anyone else agree that this use is acceptable in the university?
>>>=20
>>> http://www.copyright.iupui.edu/pubperf.htm
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Lyn McCurdy
>>> Director of Audio Visual Services
>>> Wittenberg University
>>> Springfield, OH 45504
>>> Phone: 937-327-7325
>>> FAX : 937-327-7315
>>> VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of is=
sues
>>> relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic contro=
l,
>>> preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in librarie=
s and
>>> related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effect=
ive
>>> working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communicatio=
>>> between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and
>>> distributors.
>> =20
>> Gary Handman
>> Director
>> Media Resources Center
>> Moffitt Library
>> UC Berkeley
>> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
>> http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>>=20
>> <http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC> *****
>>=20
>> "In societies where modern conditions of production prevail,
>> all of life presents itself as an immense accumulation of

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3240929299_399997789

Re: [Videolib] ppr True = but mixed up reasoning. “Face to Face” is what covers use of fil= ms in classes
“Fair Use” is something totally different and I don’t wan= t to start that one again just making clear they are not related
To each other.

So, just to be clear: the *only* way that you can show = a film at a college fillm festival, for example, where you do *not* charge e= ntrance fee, OR, for example, on a scholarly panel discussing film which is = open to the whole campus and perhaps to the public is *if* you have public p= erformance rights. If you don't have PPR, you cannot show under fair use law= because you are not involved in face-to-face instruction. Sorry I had to be= real specific but everyone seems to have a different take on it.

[...]

VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues= relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, p= reservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and = related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective w= orking tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication betw= een libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors= .

UC Berkeley

<http://www.lib.berkeley= .edu/MRC> *****

           all of li= fe presents itself as an immense accumulation of spectacles."
            &nb= sp;  --Guy Debord

Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC= -to-Phone Calls <http://us.rd.ya= hoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman1/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=3D39663/*http://= voice.yahoo.com>  to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min = or less.