RE: [Videolib] ...typing too fast...

Steven Harris (SteHar@library.lib.usu.edu)
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 14:12:20 -0600

--=__Part8AAEC5B4.0__=

The lack of depth in our (academic) library collection used to bother me a =
bit, but I'm adopting a different mentality. There is really one reason =
for the this: we are not and can never be an archive of all human =
knowledge--we don't have the funding for that. The only plausible thing =
for us to do is to pick our specializations and develop greater depth in =
those areas. =20
=20
I know it has been a miserable failure in the past, but the only real =
alternative I see is for libraries to work cooperatively to ensure that =
the widest possible selection of materials is available from the COLLECTIVE=
library world. Yeah, sounds like communism! :) Anyway, cooperative =
collection development is especially problematic from the media point of =
view, since libraries usually place greater restrictions on the ILL of =
these materials. What to do?
=20
--Steven Harris
=20
=20

>>> "Gena Zelenka" <gzelenka@park-ridge.lib.il.us> 9/12/2006 1:32 pm >>>
Why don't you refer your new department head to all the articles about the =
"long tail" of business wherein back titles are selling as much as the =
popular ones? What about niche marketing? Isn't that what we're all =
about? C'mon, people! Libraries need to provide DEPTH in their collection=
s. Sometimes I despair over the future of libraries (and their collections!=
).......