RE: [Videolib] ppr

Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:59:22 -0700

Pamela,

If you do not find an UNUSED copy for sale, you can make a copy from
another legal copy. This is clearly stated in section 108.

mb

Michael Brewer
University of Arizona Library A210
1510 E. University
P.O. Box 210055
Tucson, AZ 85721
Voice: 520.307.2771
Fax: 520.621.9733
brewerm@u.library.arizona.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Pamela Thomas
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 11:10 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] ppr

Yes, that is exactly the situation I find myself in. A faculty member
uses a particular video in class every semester, and then places it on
reserve in the library for a few weeks following the session. We have
closed stacks and the video still managed to disappear.

Much research and several phone calls reveal that there aren't any
copies available for sale. I was curious to know if any library policies
are out there that attempt to guide librarians as to what constitutes
"reasonable effort to locate" and "fair price."

Right now I am inclined to say that we have made a reasonable effort
and borrow a copy from somewhere else to copy. Am I treading on
dangerous ground?

pjt

>>> notaro@stpt.usf.edu 9/12/2006 1:15 PM >>>
Just because something is out of print does not mean it is rare, at
least in
library terms. Library Special Collections would be huge if that were
so.
But at least now I know you weren't speaking legally.

Jerry

> On 9/12/06 11:27 AM, "Gerald A. Notaro" <notaro@stpt.usf.edu> wrote:
>

>>> If a user does something illegal unless they just come in and say I
want
>>> To take out THE CANDIDATE and show it a campus political rally
or
>>> something like that.
>>> I would probably be careful NOT to circulate material which is out
of
>>> print
>>
>> Why? If it is a legally acqiured copy I can't imagine why you
shouldn't
>> circulate it. Many books go out of print while libraries still own
and
>> circulate their copies. That's sort of the point.
>
> Well each library has to make it's own choice but
> If I owned a copy of Berlin Alexanderplatz, that puppy is not
> leaving my sight. It is a matter of degree but media like
> Books have RARE items and when I was in school very rare items
> Did not circulate .

issues
> relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic
control,
> preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in
libraries and
> related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an
effective
> working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of
communication
> distributors.

producers and distributors.
producers and distributors.