Re: [Videolib] ppr

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 13:43:08 -0400

Actually this is part of what I consider a scam by a some schools to
deliberately pretend an open film showing is part of a class. They basically
Have some prof intro a film ( which is some cases is part of the standard
FILM SERIES) and claim an educational exemption. I know of two schools where
Swank is going after them though I don't know the extent of the legal action

However beyond the legal stuff I am just very angry that an educational
institution would deliberately try to avoid paying artists ( and yes guys
film people are artists ) for their work.

On 9/12/06 1:15 PM, "Lyndon C. McCurdy" <lmccurdy@wittenberg.edu> wrote:

> This is a slightly different take on the current subject, public
> performance. Below is a link to an IUPUI web page that seems to
> indicate that non-classroom campus video showings may be permissible.
> The specific phrase in the second example is:
>
> "The performance is part of a teaching activity, however it does not
> have to be part of a regular course; therefore, host a related
> discussion forum or arrange for a student or instructor to lead an
> educational program related to the film."
>
> Does anyone else agree that this use is acceptable in the university?
>
> http://www.copyright.iupui.edu/pubperf.htm
>

> Lyn McCurdy
> Director of Audio Visual Services
> Wittenberg University