Re: [Videolib] ppr

Pamela Thomas (Pthomas@syr.edu)
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 12:30:26 -0400

>I believe Jessica is just suggesting that out-of-print videos are
highly
>desirable and susceptible to theft. Why they should be more so than
books is
>beyond me, but they seem to be.

This brings up another interesting question. As I understand the
copyright guide on the University of Texas Copyright site
http://www.utsystem.edu/OGC/IntellectualProperty/l-108abc.htm
libraries have a right to make a copy of a lost video under Section
108:

"The right to archive under subsection (c) (for published works)
applies only to replacement of a damaged, deteriorating, lost or stolen
copy, or when the format of the recording has become obsolete, and then
only when a reasonable effort to locate an unused replacement at a fair
price or a device that accommodates the format has proven
unsuccessful."

The key phrases here are of course "reasonable effort to locate" and
"fair price."

I'd be interested in hearing if any libraries have adopted policies
regarding this issue.

Pamela Thomas
Media Librarian
Syracuse University
pthomas@syr.edu

>>> MileFilms@aol.com 9/12/2006 11:43 AM >>>

In a message dated 9/12/06 11:31:28 AM, notaro@stpt.usf.edu writes:

> Why? If it is a legally acqiured copy I can't imagine why you
shouldn't
> circulate it. Many books go out of print while libraries still own
and
> circulate their copies. That's sort of the point.

I believe Jessica is just suggesting that out-of-print videos are
highly
desirable and susceptible to theft. Why they should be more so than
books is
beyond me, but they seem to be.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video / Milliarium Zero
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Fax: (201) 767-3035