RE: [Videolib] ppr

Andrews, Sarah E (sarah-andrews@uiowa.edu)
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:13:19 -0500

We have similar requests at our campus, as well as from the public
because we have a widely circulating collection (in closed stacks). Our
solution was to add information to the bibliographic record when we
have:
-additional (PPR) rights or
-restrictive (no circulation off campus/classroom use only), etc.

We use the 540 field, which is keyword searchable in our opac. This has
been publicized by some of our librarians, especially those whose areas
want to do much outside programming. Examples:
540: Restricted access: on-campus use only. (These also get a sticker on
the cover).

540: Includes public performance rights.

We also scan and save a copy of the license agreement (or invoice, or
email, or web printout--wherever we found the information), and send a
copy with the physical piece to be shelved in the box.

As a rule of thumb, if a user asks about PPR, they will be referred to
me if we don't have a license in place. If there are fees, etc. for a
one-time screening, I will get the information for the user so the user
can pay the fees/sign the agreement.

Sarah Andrews
University of Iowa Libraries