Re: [Videolib] performance rights

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:39:38 -0400

--B_3240841178_394720837

Steven
It is VERY unusual to PURCHASE feature films with PPR. Kino does it as do
small companies like New Yorker
First Run, Milestone etc but studios who own most of the major films never
do. What they do is have
another company sell =B3umbrella=B2 licenses which allow libraries to show a
large number of studio films
to an audience. on an annual basis It would be totally impossible to licens=
all the titles in your collection if you had all the money in
The world do to rights issues with many films. As a practical matter I can=B9=
imagine why a university library would
WANT to buy or license PPR rights. Obviously if you have some films that a
professor wants to open up to campus showing or you
Want to use a film on a campus cable station or a student group wants to
show a film you need to track down and pay for
THOSE films. Assuming the average college library owns thousands of films
you would just go nuts trying to license
them. Basically I strongly advice taking it on case by case , title by titl=
basis.
For Public Libraries which have regular public programming license makes
sense as does licensing really good films
NOT covered by a studio license ( hint , hint) but universities tend to hav=
more specific needs which at most would
require licensing certain titles over the course of a year.

On 9/11/06 5:14 PM, "Steven Harris" <SteHar@library.lib.usu.edu> wrote:

> OK. This will seem like such an elementary question to you media PROS ou=
> there. I've just avoiding addressing it for a while. It's several quest=
ions
> really:=20
> =20
> 1. Does your library purchase DVD feature films WITH public performance
> rights, or do you assume that classroom use is all you really need?
> 2. I'm sure a copy purchased on Amazon, for example, should not be used f=
or
> public performance, but is it ok for classroom use?
> 3. Where do you typically buy media materials with performance rights? I=
> seems a little problematic for feature films. Suggest some good vendors =
> me.=20
> 4. Where can you license performance rights for videos you already own wi=
thout
> rights? =20
> =20
> We haven't worried much about these rights, but lately it's been much mor=
e of
> an issue. I'm a BOOK person. All this media stuff is SO problematic! :=
)
> =20
> =20
> Steven R. Harris
> Collection Development Librarian
> Utah State University
> (435) 797-3861
> http://cc.usu.edu/~srharris/
>=20

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3240841178_394720837

Re: [Videolib] performance rights Steve= n
It is VERY unusual to PURCHASE feature films with PPR. Kino does it as do s= mall companies like New Yorker
First Run, Milestone etc but studios who own most of the major films never = do. What they do  is have
another company sell “umbrella” licenses which allow libraries = to show a large number of studio films
to an audience. on an annual basis It would be totally impossible to licens= e all the titles in your collection if you had all the money in
The world do to rights issues with many films. As a practical matter I can&= #8217;t imagine why a university library would
WANT to buy or license PPR rights. Obviously if you have some films that a = professor wants to open up to campus showing or you
Want to use a film on a campus cable station or a student group wants to sh= ow a film you need to track down and pay for
THOSE films. Assuming the average college library owns thousands of films y= ou would just go nuts trying to license
them. Basically I strongly advice taking it on case by case , title by titl= e basis.
For Public Libraries which have regular public programming license makes se= nse as does licensing really good films
NOT covered by a studio license ( hint , hint) but universities tend to hav= e more specific needs which at most would
require licensing certain titles over the course of a year.

OK.  This will seem like such an elementary questi= on to you media PROS out there.  I've just avoiding addressing it for a= while.  It's several questions really:

1. Does your library purchase DVD feature films WITH public performance rig= hts, or do you assume that classroom use is all you really need?
2. I'm sure a copy purchased on Amazon, for example, should not be used for= public performance, but is it ok for classroom use?
3. Where do you typically buy media materials with performance rights? &nbs= p;It seems a little problematic for feature films.  Suggest some good v= endors to me.