Re: [Videolib] performance rights

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:42:12 -0400

--B_3240841334_394755665

Um you can DEFINITELY show an ENTIRE film in a class. Provided it is
basically a =B3real=B2 class and limited to the specific students enrolled
That is what the =B3face to face=B2 teaching exemption is about. ( Except of
course if you happen to be in that fascist state up north eh ?)
Oh and provided it is a legal copy

On 9/11/06 5:25 PM, "Griest, Bryan" <BGriest@ci.glendale.ca.us> wrote:

> 1. Features generally do not come with PPR; you usually have to buy PP ri=
ghts
> for them through various "bulk" licensers. (Is that a word?)
> 2. Going strictly by the book, and I'm sure I will be swallowed whole by =
some
> monster if I'm wrong, you are not necessarily allowed to show the entire
> feature w/o buying PPR, even in a classroom. Portions of it yes, whole th=
ing,
> maybe/probably no.
> 3. Movie Licensing USA is a big player here. http://www.movlic.com/
> Motion Picture Licensing Corporation is another. http://www.mplc.com/
> 4. See #3.
> =20
> Bryan Griest
> Glendale Public Library
> Glendale, Ca.

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3240841334_394755665

Re: [Videolib] performance rights Um yo= u can DEFINITELY show an ENTIRE film in a class. Provided it is basically &n= bsp;a “real” class and limited to the specific students enrolled=
That is what the “face to face” teaching exemption is about. ( = Except of course if you happen to be in that fascist state up north eh ?) Oh and provided it is a legal copy

1. Features generally do not come with PPR; = you usually have to buy PP rights for them through various "bulk" = licensers. (Is that a word?)
2. Going strictly by the book, and I'm sure I will be swallowed whole by so= me monster if I'm wrong, you are not necessarily allowed to show the entire = feature w/o buying PPR, even in a classroom. Portions of it yes, whole thing= , maybe/probably no.
3. Movie Licensing USA is a big player here. http://www.movlic.com/
Motion Picture Licensing Corporation is another. http://www.mplc.com/
4. See #3.

Bryan Griest
Glendale Public Library
Glendale, Ca.
OK.  This will seem like= such an elementary question to you media PROS out there.  I've just av= oiding addressing it for a while.  It's several questions really:  = ;

1. Does your library purchase DVD feature films WITH public performance rig= hts, or do you assume that classroom use is all you really need?
2. I'm sure a copy purchased on Amazon, for example, should not be used for= public performance, but is it ok for classroom use?
3. Where do you typically buy media materials with performance rights? &nbs= p;It seems a little problematic for feature films.  Suggest some good v= endors to me.