Re: [Videolib] performance rights

Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:43:24 -0700

--=====================_284108984==.ALT

At 02:14 PM 9/11/2006, you wrote:
>OK. This will seem like such an elementary question to you media
>PROS out there. I've just avoiding addressing it for a while. It's
>several questions really:
>
>1. Does your library purchase DVD feature films WITH public
>performance rights, or do you assume that classroom use is all you really need

Hi. Most DVD features aren't available with public performance
rights, so it's not an issue... Unless you plan on programming the
stuff for public screenings in one way or another, you don't need
rights (i.e. if all you're doing is circulating for classroom use)

>2. I'm sure a copy purchased on Amazon, for example, should not be
>used for public performance, but is it ok for classroom use?

Yes

>3. Where do you typically buy media materials with performance
>rights? It seems a little problematic for feature films. Suggest
>some good vendors to me.

You generally can't buy features with performance rights. You need
to deal with a third party licensing body: either the studios
(almost impossible to deal with) or agencies that broker rights (eg
MPLC (http://mplc.com/)

>4. Where can you license performance rights for videos you already
>own without rights?

See above

>We haven't worried much about these rights, but lately it's been
>much more of an issue. I'm a BOOK person. All this media stuff is
>SO problematic! :)
>

>Steven R. Harris
>Collection Development Librarian
>Utah State University