RE: [Videolib] performance rights

Griest, Bryan (BGriest@ci.glendale.ca.us)
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:25:04 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C6D5E8.BF34280F

1. Features generally do not come with PPR; you usually have to buy PP =
rights for them through various "bulk" licensers. (Is that a word?)
2. Going strictly by the book, and I'm sure I will be swallowed whole by =
some monster if I'm wrong, you are not necessarily allowed to show the =
entire feature w/o buying PPR, even in a classroom. Portions of it yes, =
whole thing, maybe/probably no.
3. Movie Licensing USA is a big player here. http://www.movlic.com/
Motion Picture Licensing Corporation is another. http://www.mplc.com/
4. See #3.
=20
Bryan Griest
Glendale Public Library
Glendale, Ca.
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu =
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Steven Harris
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 2:14 PM
To: videolib@listtest.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] performance rights

OK. This will seem like such an elementary question to you media PROS =
out there. I've just avoiding addressing it for a while. It's several =
questions really: =20
=20
1. Does your library purchase DVD feature films WITH public performance =
rights, or do you assume that classroom use is all you really need?
2. I'm sure a copy purchased on Amazon, for example, should not be used =
for public performance, but is it ok for classroom use? =20
3. Where do you typically buy media materials with performance rights? =
It seems a little problematic for feature films. Suggest some good =
vendors to me.=20
4. Where can you license performance rights for videos you already own =
without rights? =20
=20
We haven't worried much about these rights, but lately it's been much =
more of an issue. I'm a BOOK person. All this media stuff is SO =
problematic! :) =20
=20
=20
Steven R. Harris
Collection Development Librarian
Utah State University
(435) 797-3861
http://cc.usu.edu/~srharris/

------_=_NextPart_001_01C6D5E8.BF34280F

1.=20 Features generally do not come with PPR; you usually have to buy PP = rights=20 for them through various "bulk" licensers. (Is that a = word?)
2.=20 Going strictly by the book, and I'm sure I will be swallowed whole by = some=20 monster if I'm wrong, you are not necessarily allowed to show the entire = feature=20 w/o buying PPR, even in a classroom. Portions of it yes, whole thing,=20 maybe/probably no.
3.=20 Movie Licensing USA is a big player here. http://www.movlic.com/<= /DIV>
Motion Picture Licensing Corporation is another. http://www.mplc.com/
4.=20 See #3.

Bryan Griest