Re: [Videolib] PPR outdoor DVD showings

Jerry Notaro (notaro@stpt.usf.edu)
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 12:35:23 -0400

--B_3240822924_37255384

How well I know. Disney went after a group home right here in St. Petersbur=
for showing videos in the common room.

Jerry

> Well so far he is lucky. I assure you major studios don=B9t care about bad
> press from what the know is illegal use of their product
> The big outdoor shows in NYC are all licensed & sponsored
> What really goes in favor of people not getting caught is that studios ha=
ve
> MUCH bigger problems with piracy
> Swank on the other hand has a vested interest in going after these things=
(
> though they pretty much just hand it over to
> The MPAA). If your friend is ever dumb enough to show a Disney or Chaplin=
film
> that shows up in ANY public listing
> On the Web, they are really in for it
>=20
>=20
> On 9/11/06 11:12 AM, "Jerry Notaro" <notaro@stpt.usf.edu> wrote:
>=20
>> The author must be giving his/her opinion, one I would not share.
>> Interestingly, I have a friend who is the president of a neighborhood
>> association. They do the same once a month in the local park. I=B9ve urged=
him
>> to get a license to show the, instead of just renting them and projectin=
>> them. He seems to think the negative publicity would prevent any corpora=
tion
>> from going after them.
>>=20
>> Jerry
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>> Did anyone see the article in this morning's NYT abt showing DVDs of
>>> commercial movies outside on the sides of houses and garage doors and
>>> inviting neighbors and friends over to watch them, ala old-fashioned
>>> drive-in movies? Interestingly enough, the author raised the issue of
>>> public performance rights, but dismissed it by indicating that these ar=
>>> considered "private showings." That seemed odd to me and I'm wondering=
if
>>> the author is correct?
>>> =20
>>> Jocelyn Riley
>>> HerOwnWords.com
>>> NontraditionalCareers.com
>>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
> =20
> Jessica Rosner
> Kino International
> 333 W 39th St. 503
> NY NY 10018
> jrosner@kino.com
> 212-629-6880
>=20

--B_3240822924_37255384

Re: [Videolib] PPR outdoor DVD showings How w= ell I know. Disney went after a group home right here in St. Petersburg for = showing videos in the common room.

Jerry

Well  so far he is lucky. I assure you major studi= os don’t care about bad press from what the know is illegal use of the= ir product
The big outdoor shows in NYC are all licensed & sponsored
What really goes in favor of people not getting caught is that studios have= MUCH bigger problems with piracy
Swank on the other hand has a vested interest in going after these things (= though they pretty much just hand it over to
The MPAA). If your friend is ever dumb enough to show a Disney or Chaplin f= ilm that shows up in ANY public listing
On the Web, they are really in for it

On 9/11/06 11:12 AM, "Jerry Notaro" <notaro@stpt.usf.edu> w= rote:

The author must be giving his/her opinion, one I would = not share. Interestingly, I have a friend who is the president of a neighbor= hood association. They do the same once a month in the local park. I’v= e urged him to get a license to show the, instead of just renting them and p= rojecting them. He seems to think the negative publicity would prevent any c= orporation from going after them.

Jerry

Did anyone see the article in this morning's NYT abt showing DVDs of commer= cial movies outside on the sides of houses and garage doors and inviting nei= ghbors and friends over to watch them, ala old-fashioned drive-in movies? &n= bsp;Interestingly enough, the author raised the issue of public performance = rights, but dismissed it by indicating that these are considered "priva= te showings."  That seemed odd to me and I'm wondering if the auth= or is correct?

Jocelyn Riley
HerOwnWords.com
NontraditionalCareers.com

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE