Re: [Videolib] PPR outdoor DVD showings

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 11:46:06 -0400

--B_3240819971_393480672

Well so far he is lucky. I assure you major studios don=B9t care about bad
press from what the know is illegal use of their product
The big outdoor shows in NYC are all licensed & sponsored
What really goes in favor of people not getting caught is that studios have
MUCH bigger problems with piracy
Swank on the other hand has a vested interest in going after these things (
though they pretty much just hand it over to
The MPAA). If your friend is ever dumb enough to show a Disney or Chaplin
film that shows up in ANY public listing
On the Web, they are really in for it

On 9/11/06 11:12 AM, "Jerry Notaro" <notaro@stpt.usf.edu> wrote:

> The author must be giving his/her opinion, one I would not share.
> Interestingly, I have a friend who is the president of a neighborhood
> association. They do the same once a month in the local park. I=B9ve urged =
him
> to get a license to show the, instead of just renting them and projecting
> them. He seems to think the negative publicity would prevent any corporat=
ion
> from going after them.
>=20
> Jerry
>=20
>=20
>=20
>> Did anyone see the article in this morning's NYT abt showing DVDs of
>> commercial movies outside on the sides of houses and garage doors and
>> inviting neighbors and friends over to watch them, ala old-fashioned dri=
ve-in
>> movies? Interestingly enough, the author raised the issue of public
>> performance rights, but dismissed it by indicating that these are consid=
ered
>> "private showings." That seemed odd to me and I'm wondering if the auth=
or is
>> correct?
>> =20
>> Jocelyn Riley
>> HerOwnWords.com
>> NontraditionalCareers.com
>>=20
>=20
>=20

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3240819971_393480672

Re: [Videolib] PPR outdoor DVD showings Well =  so far he is lucky. I assure you major studios don’t care about = bad press from what the know is illegal use of their product
The big outdoor shows in NYC are all licensed & sponsored
What really goes in favor of people not getting caught is that studios have= MUCH bigger problems with piracy
Swank on the other hand has a vested interest in going after these things (= though they pretty much just hand it over to
The MPAA). If your friend is ever dumb enough to show a Disney or Chaplin f= ilm that shows up in ANY public listing
On the Web, they are really in for it

On 9/11/06 11:12 AM, "Jerry Notaro" <notaro@stpt.usf.edu> w= rote:

The author must be giving his/her opinion, one I would = not share. Interestingly, I have a friend who is the president of a neighbor= hood association. They do the same once a month in the local park. I’v= e urged him to get a license to show the, instead of just renting them and p= rojecting them. He seems to think the negative publicity would prevent any c= orporation from going after them.

Jerry

Did anyone see the article in this morning's NYT abt showing DVDs of commer= cial movies outside on the sides of houses and garage doors and inviting nei= ghbors and friends over to watch them, ala old-fashioned drive-in movies? &n= bsp;Interestingly enough, the author raised the issue of public performance = rights, but dismissed it by indicating that these are considered "priva= te showings."  That seemed odd to me and I'm wondering if the auth= or is correct?