Re: [Videolib] PPR outdoor DVD showings

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 11:56:56 -0400

I think showing on the side of your house and inviting friends is
technically not covered but not the kind of thing anyone would really pursue
Showing things to entire neighborhood and presumably making it publicly
known is something else
However the crucial mistake which is very, very common but drives me crazy
Is that MONEY i.e charging admission HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.
If a screening is open to the Public than you need a license from the rights
holder or their representative and it makes no difference if you are
charging.

On 9/11/06 11:31 AM, "Ciara Healy" <cmhealy@waketech.edu> wrote:

> I saw an article abut this last year in the magazine Ready Made - it was
> a how-to. There was also a bit, if I remember correctly, about
> broadcasting the sound to an ipod (kind of like itrip - via the radio)
> if you were showing it on the side of a garage. Basically you need an
> LCD projector, a laptop and some way to not make it so loud as to bother
> the neighbors.
>
> But it may be a regular private showing since you can invite friends
> over to watch a movie in your living room, why not in your back yard? I
> thought a public performance was about accepting $ in some way for the
> performance. Not the number of people or the manner of projection but
> the purpose of the performance - even w/ suggested donations for fund
> raising or whatever.
> Ciara

> Did anyone see the article in this morning's NYT abt showing DVDs of
> commercial movies outside on the sides of houses and garage doors and
> inviting
> neighbors and friends over to watch them, ala old-fashioned drive-in
> movies?
> Interestingly enough, the author raised the issue of public performance
> rights,
> but dismissed it by indicating that these are considered "private
> showings."
> That seemed odd to me and I'm wondering if the author is correct?
>
> Jocelyn Riley
> HerOwnWords.com
> NontraditionalCareers.com

> distributors.