RE: [Videolib] anyone collecting in PAL or region-free formats?

Milewski, Steven (smilewsk@utk.edu)
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 14:45:52 -0400

Maurine, we collect them here at UT. We have a lot of foreign language
instructors and cinema studies instructors that want specific titles
available only coded from other regions, sometimes even buying for the
library themselves (sometimes reimbursed) when they go home over the
summer and then giving them to the library. We have 4 of the rooms set
up with region free DVDs and have some in our main room for individual
use. Also, like you we let the machines be used for conversion purposes
(we don't let them convert copy written material) in the digitizing lab
called "The Studio." We have had a positive reaction overall. There is
a small problem that comes up if they want to show it in their
classroom, but most faculty who want to use these specific films, are
okay with bringing their classes to the library.

Steven Milewski
Lib. Sup.
Hodges Library
Media Center
University of Tennessee

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Maureen Tripp
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 11:54 AM
To: Videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] anyone collecting in PAL or region-free formats?

I've had requests for some titles that are available only in region-free
DVD format, and up till now I've told clients we can't buy them, because
we don't have a region-free player. Well, now we have two: one for a
dubbing rack, one for special events.
Does anyone out there collect region-free DVDs?
My boss is reluctant to start collecting these . . . what does everyone
think?

Maureen Tripp
Media Librarian
Media Services Center