RE: [Videolib] anyone collecting in PAL or region-free formats?

Bergman, Barbara J (barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu)
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 12:12:22 -0500

I think you mean non-Region 1 DVDs. If the DVDs were region-free, we
wouldn't have this annoying problem. Grrr.

To answer your question, if the film is needed by faculty and is not
available in NTSC VHS or Region 1 DVD, we would purchase it. The
catalog record and the container get a note saying something like, "PAL
format. Special equipment needed." Plus "In [language]. No subtitles..."

We have long had a multi-system VCR and a region-free DVD player in our
media area. Since the language department has their own equipment, we
acquired this equipment primarily to accommodate our international
students who often received recordings from home.
(Yes, their preference would be that we transfer the recording to a US
format. It's much easier to say, "Here's the viewing equipment you
need," than to explain the many reasons why we won't do the transfer.)

Barb Bergman | Media Services Librarian | Minnesota State
University-Mankato | (507) 389-5945 | barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Maureen Tripp
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 10:54 AM
To: Videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] anyone collecting in PAL or region-free formats?

I've had requests for some titles that are available only in region-free
DVD format, and up till now I've told clients we can't buy them, because
we don't have a region-free player. Well, now we have two: one for a
dubbing rack, one for special events.
Does anyone out there collect region-free DVDs?
My boss is reluctant to start collecting these . . . what does everyone
think?

Maureen Tripp
Media Librarian
Media Services Center