Re: [Videolib] Library illegal video showing follow up

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 10:40:11 -0400

You would be right in about 99% of the cases if you went with using titles
released on home video by the studios on the list but there are some MAJOR
pitfalls such as the Chaplin films (which though out on Warner Bros do NOT
include PPR and the Chaplin people are VERY sensitive) Eroll Morris films on
the MGM label, NOWHERE IN AFRICA etc. In the case I initially brought up
which turns out to have had an MPLC license it was it appears even MORE
problematic since according to the library the left the impression THAT ALL
TITLES by all companies were covered.

I think both of these companies need to be VERY clear that there are
significant limitations but it SHOULD be a pretty simple matter to provide
an online link to titles covered. I would hope they would do this. I don't
think it is asking too much of them and I don't think it is that onerous to
ask librarian programmers to check to confirm before scheduling

I have already billed out 3 libraries for showing our titles illegally
I understand it was unintentional and I hope they collect from the licensor
involved