RE: [Videolib] Superman Image

Mike Tribby (mike.tribby@quality-books.com)
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 14:52:28 -0500

Regarding Superman's copyright situation:

"I believe they forced an actual town CALLLED Metropolis to take the image
off a water tower
in the last year or two"

The picture of Superman and the motto "Home of Superman" are still on the
watertower of Metropolis, Illinois, according to a blog dated 8-2-06
[http://tobp-steve.journalspace.com/?cat=Road%20Trip], and they've replaced
the hideous downtown statue of the Dude of Steel with a newer, differently
hideous one, which apparently is not anatomically correct.

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.

mailto:mike.tribby@quality-books.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Jessica Rosner [mailto:jrosner@kino.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 1:07 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Superman Image

I am sure it is copyrighted. The first year was 1938 and copyright in now 95
years and one of the reasons they added 20 years recently
is that Mickey Mouse who started in 28 would have gone PD in 03 if they had
not.
Keep in mind the guys who own copyright on these kinds of images are usually
the most litigious

On 8/10/06 2:32 PM, "librarygoddess@comcast.net"