Re: [Videolib] Article about PPR for Campus Screenings?

jrosner@kino.com
Sat, 5 Aug 2006 20:08:25 -0400

Well I am pretty sure Swank offers a generic license where
you licence X movies for X cost but if you mean something
that will let you licence most everything for public showing
it will never happen. Way, way too many different rights holders.
I would guess that even it could give a umbrella license on everything
from its various rights holders , MPLC would cover perhaps 50-60%
of FEATURE films. It would not cover FOX, NEW YORKER, KINO
ANCHOR BAY, CRITERION etc etc. It is also often misleading , makes
you think that EVERY title released by every "studio" on the list
is covered which far from the case. Already several bad mix ups
involving Chaplin films which while released on the Warner Bros
ARE NOT COVERED BY MPLC license for any public showing.

Another interesting issue I keep wanting to follow up on is
the MPLC model screws artists out of royalties. It allows studios
to generically take in a pool of money WITHOUT assigning to a
particular title therefor, writers, directors ,actors etc who
get a royalty on films that may well be shown , never get a penny

One of the reasons ( besides it's VERY small size) Kino could
never offer a "blanket" license on our films is that we basically
pay 50% on each public showing to the rights holder and a blanket
license would almost certainly screw them

FYI am tracking down a very interesting case of a major library
which has been showing a lof of films without permission. I am
not yet sure if they are really stupid or in fact think an
MPLC license covered Kino, FOx etc

Will report details when I get them