Re: [Videolib] Article about PPR for Campus Screenings?

MileFilms@aol.com
Fri, 4 Aug 2006 12:33:59 EDT

--part1_bc1.223bdc3.3204d0f7_boundary

In a message dated 8/4/06 11:37:05 AM, mtwchk@udel.edu writes:

> Thanks to those who've offered replies!=A0 Dennis' comments in reply to
> the original post, were, I think, what I was recalling.=A0 I will share
> this discussion with the inquiree.
>=20

My god, did I write something USEFUL? Must be another Dennis.=20

What has suprised me over the past two years is how many longtime campus=20
societies I've come across on the internet who I had thought disbanded, but=20
actually turned to showing DVDs without permission. It's somewhat dishearten=
ing to=20
write to some of these old "friends" (mostly professors, not librarians),=20
asking them to properly license the film like they used to, and have them wr=
ite=20
back within minutes that they're cancelling the screening because they can't=
=20
afford to pay for it. Which leads me to:

1) There are professors (and students) knowingly screening films illegally=20
under the presumption that it's okay as long as they don't get caught. Only=20=
one=20
college -- the University of Washington -- took these infractions seriously=20
when they found out. As I've compared before, stealing a $50 text book from=20=
the=20
college bookstore seems to be a far larger offense to most administrators.

2) Societies are willing to cancel even a scheduled screening because there'=
s=20
no money in the school's budget. (Or at least an unwillingness to fight for=20
one.) Consider that the costs for renting a film nontheatrically has actuall=
y=20
dropped (some drastically) over the past fifteen years while school budgets=20=
for=20
the other arts and lectures, of course, have skyrocketed.

3) There needs to be continued discussions among the indie distributors (no=20
one from Milestone could make the one meeting they had last year) what we ca=
n=20
do to change the perception of the educational institutions and discover why=
=20
these societies changed their policies on renting. =20

The answer to all of these questions would be an interesting project for=20
someone studying library science. Anyone else have thoughts on these?

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video / Milliarium Zero
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Fax: (201) 767-3035