Re: [Videolib] Article about PPR for Campus Screenings?

Marilyn Huntley (mhuntley@hamilton.edu)
Fri, 04 Aug 2006 10:47:37 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_jy4cu20EtTmObZxJ6Eh6rw)

Meghann,
I saved the original posting. Here's the web address -
http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2006/02/08/news/106042.txt.

Giving credit where it's due, this was provided by Matt Bailey of
Carleton College, on 2/8/06. I also saved the interesting follow-up
messages from Jessica Rosner and Dennis Doros.
Marilyn Huntley

At 09:56 AM 8/4/2006, you wrote:
>Hello everyone and happy Friday. I help run a committee that brings
>international films to campus for screening to students, faculty,
>and the general public. We purchase public performance rights so
>that we can do this. I've gotten an email from a faculty member at
>another University asking how we handle copyright; her institution
>had been showing films but were 'forced' to pay licensing fees or
>stop showing the films in public. I'm in the process of describing
>how we 'handle' these issues (we pay for the rights!), and I'm
>remembering a news article that I believe was posted to this
>listserv some time ago when a major distributor (New Yorker, I
>believe) started to crack down on unlicensed campus
>screenings. I've spent some time searching the VideoLib archives,
>Google News, and some other databases but am not having much luck in
>turning anything up. What I'd liked about this article is that it
>made a point that if colleges and universities want to support arts,
>they should provide funding to allow for film rentals and the
>purchase public performance rights, etc., and not just encourage
>faculty and students to flout copyright law. Does this ring a bell
>for anyone? Does anyone have a link or a citation to share?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>*************************
>Meghann Matwichuk, M.S.
>Senior Assistant Librarian
>Instructional Media Collection Department
>Morris Library, University of Delaware
>181 S. College Ave.
>Newark, DE 19717
>(302) 831-1475

Marilyn B. Huntley, Audiovisual Assistant:
Film scheduling, rentals, licensing & previews
A-V Services, 408 C. A. Johnson Hall
Hamilton College, 198 College Hill Rd., Clinton, NY 13323
Phone 315-859-4120; Fax 315-859-4687
e-mail mhuntley@hamilton.edu