RE: [Videolib] off air recording and copyright[Scanned]

Mark Kopp (mkopp@iu08.org)
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 13:31:10 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C6B4C7.1D9B7953

I dunno...seems pretty clear to me...
From: Congressional Record, October 14, 1984

Guidelines for Off-Air Taping for Educational Purposes
(Kastenmeier Guidelines)

1. The Guidelines were developed to appy only to off-air recording by
non-profit educational institutions.=20

2. A broadcast program (including cable programs) may be recorded
off-air and retained by a non-profit educational institution for a
period not to exceed the first forty-five (45) consecutive calendar days
after the date of recording.=20

3. Off-air recording may be used once by individual teachers in the
course of relevant teaching activities, and repreated once only when
instructional reinforcement is necessary in classrooms and similar
places devoted to instruction within a single building, cluster, or
campus, as well as in the homes of students receiving formalized home
instruction, during the first ten (10) consecutive schools days in the
forty-five (45) day calendar day retention period. "School days" are
school session days--not couting weekends, holidays, vacations,
examination periods, or other scheduled interruptions--within the
forty-five (45) calendar day retention period.=20

4. Off-air recordings may be made only at the request of and used by
individual teachers, and may not be regularly recorded in anticipation
of requests. No broadcast program may be recorded off-air more than once
at the request of the same teacher, regardless of the number of times
the program may be broadcast.=20

5. A limited number of copies may be reproduced from each off-air
recording to meet the legitimate needs of teachers under these
guidelines. Each additional copy shall be subject to all provisions
governing the original recording.=20

6. After the first ten (10) consecutive schools days, off-air recordings
may be used up to the end of the forty-five (45) calendar day retention
period only for teacher evaluation purposes. i.e., to determine whether
or not to include the broadcast program in the teaching curriculum, and
may not be used in the recording institution for student exhibition or
any other non-evaluation purpose without authorization.=20

7. Off-air recordings need not be used in their entirety, but the
recorded programs may not be altered from their original content.
Off-air recordings may not be physically or electonically combined or
merged to constitute teaching anthologies or compilations.=20

8. All copies of off-air recordings must include the copyright notice on
the broadcast program as recorded.=20

9. Educational institutions are expected to establish appropriate
control procedures to maintain the integrity of these guidelines.=20

Congressional Record, October 14, 1984=20

Mark W. Kopp
Technology Assistant
IT Department
Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8