RE: [Videolib] protest music[Scanned]

Mark Kopp (mkopp@iu08.org)
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:16:46 -0400

I just want one of 'em cool decoder rings!!!...you know...the one that
you aim at a tape and it detects if it is pirated!!!...or out of
date...or in Public Domain...although we all know it wouldn't work on
Disney products.

Mark

Mark W. Kopp
Technology Assistant
IT Department
Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8
4500 6th Avenue
Altoona, PA 16602
P: 814-940-0223
F: 814-949-0984
C: 814-937-2802
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Ciara Healy
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 9:26 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] protest music[Scanned]

OK,OK -
Wait one second here. I know copyright is murky and filled with mere
guidelines as opposed to rules and laws and I know that there are no
copyright police around to bust me, but one area I am confident about
is off-air taping. It does not seem ambiguous that off-air tapes are
good for only a short time - 10 days ish - and then they have to be
destroyed.

I am really surprised that at least two replies to my initial query have
suggested that this prof can go right on ahead and put a three year old
taped-from-TV show on reserve. I also know that copyright law is
constantly up for interpretation but this seems a clear case. I don't
think it even merits "a closer look". If this item doesn't clearly
violate copyright, I will turn in my jr. deputy copyright cop badge and
decoder ring for good and let things slide which would make every single
person I work with jump for joy.

Those of you who are academic librarians who work directly with media
and who don't care to hedge you bets with "take another look" or
"probably" or "depending on the details", please state clearly why you
would absolutely put this old home made tape on reserve.

Ciara

>>> notaro@stpt.usf.edu 7/28/2006 8:22 am >>>

> FYI I have off air copies of THE GLITTERING PRIZES which PBS aired in
> the late 70s. It is considered to be one the best British series ever
> made. Never released in any format in any country Think I can loan
> out those puppies for classroom use ?

Absolutely!

Jerry

producers and distributors.