Re: [Videolib] protest music

Judith Thomas (jthomas@virginia.edu)
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:15:10 -0400

--Apple-Mail-11--383948700
delsp=yes;
format=flowed

PBS actually offers extended educational rights in many cases: see
http://www.pbs.org/teachersource/copyright/copyright_trights.shtm.
They've even defined a "Life of Tape" right. The target audience is
preK-12, but their language suggests that they'd be open to a request
from higher ed.

--Judy Thomas

> [...]
>> to create "no brainers" and when there is a case that exceeds the
>> guidelines, it doesn't mean the use can't be supported, but rather
>> that a more in-depth evaluation is necessary.
>>
>> Claire
>>
>>> Dear Vid Libbers,
>>>
>>> I have an instructor who insists on putting an item on reserve that
>>> violates copyright. I have offered his mother options (like
>>> getting a
>>> legit item to replace, writing to get permission, updating his tired
>>> class/syllabus) but he claims that there are no other videos like
>>> this
>>> one that he taped from the TV years ago. I would love to stump
>>> him and
>>> get as good if not a better title.
>>>
>>> The original show was "Get Up, Stand Up", a PBS production. The
>>> basic
>>> topic is protest music or music that accompanies social change
>>> movements
>>> or the intersection of music and protest - you get the picture.
>>> I think
>>> that a great punk music documentary fits the bill quite well, but
>>> something tells me that the instructor wants something exactly
>>> like "Get
>>> Up, Stand Up" and nothing else.
>>>
>>> (His point is that he should be allowed to put this taped-from-TV
>>> thing on reserve indefinitely because (a) he has before and (b)
>>> he needs
>>> it for his class. Hardly compelling, I know but I would like to
>>> get him
>>> a legit replacement so as to put an end to the two semester long
>>> wrangle. Apparently he has a crystal ball too and can see that
>>> PBS would
>>> never give him permission to have it on reserve or show it.)
>>>
>>> Could you all suggest some titles, especially if you are familiar
>>> with
>>> Get Up, Stand Up?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ciara
>>> issues relating to the selection, evaluation,
>>> acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current
>>> and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It
>>> is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for
>>> video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between
>>> libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and
>>> distributors.
>>

> Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
>
> Jessica Rosner
> Kino International
> 333 W 39th St. 503
> NY NY 10018
> jrosner@kino.com
> 212-629-6880
>

> VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion
> of issues relating to the selection, evaluation,
> and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions.
> It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool
> for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between

Judith Thomas
Robertson Media Center
University of Virginia Library
Charlottesville, VA 22904
(434) 924-8814 | jthomas@virginia.edu

--Apple-Mail-11--383948700

PBS actually offers extended = educational rights in many cases:=A0 see=A0http://www.pbs.org/teachersource/copyright/copyright_trights.shtm.=A0= They've even defined a "Life of Tape" right.=A0 The target audience is = preK-12, but their language suggests that they'd be open to a request = from higher ed.

--Judy = Thomas

Actually it is flat out illegal = , no better or worse than buying or using a
pirate = dupe of a feature film. The off air rules are if anything more
specific on this and clearly state that you can only = use something off air
for Either 30 or 60 days ( = I forget which). I think EVEN Gary will agree on
this one because there is no grey area on = this

The=A0 = ONLY thing the guy is right about is that there is ZERO = chance
[...]

=A0I = have an instructor who insists on putting an item on reserve = that
violates copyright. I have = offered his mother options (like getting a
legit = item to replace, writing to get permission, updating his tired
class/syllabus) but he claims that there are no = other videos like this
one that he taped from the = TV years ago. I would love to stump him and
get as = good if not a better title.

The original show was "Get Up, = Stand Up", a PBS production. The basic
topic is = protest music or music that accompanies social change = movements
or the intersection of music and = protest=A0 - you get the = picture. I think
that a great punk music = documentary fits the bill quite well, but
Up, Stand Up" and nothing = else.

=A0(His = point is that he should be allowed to put this taped-from-TV
thing on reserve indefinitely because (a) he has = before and (b) he needs
it for his = class. Hardly compelling, I know but=A0 I would like to get = him
a legit replacement so as to put = an end to the two semester long
wrangle. = Apparently he has a crystal ball too and can see that PBS = would
never give him permission to = have it on reserve or show it.)

Could you all suggest some = titles, especially if you are familiar with
Get Up, = Stand Up?

Thanks,
VIDEOLIB is intended to = encourage the broad and lively discussion of
issues relating to the selection, = evaluation,
acquisition,bibliographic = control, preservation, and use of current
and = evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. = It
is hoped that the list will serve as an = effective working tool for
video = librarians, as well as a channel of communication between
libraries,educational institutions, and video = producers and
distributors.
=

=

Proud = Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W = 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and = lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, = acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and = evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is = hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video = librarians, as well as a channel of communication between = libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and = distributors.

Judith Thomas

Robertson Media Center

University of Virginia Library

Charlottesville, VA 22904

(434) 924-8814 | jthomas@virginia.edu

=

= --Apple-Mail-11--383948700-- VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.