Re: [Videolib] protest music

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:26:26 -0400

Actually it is flat out illegal , no better or worse than buying or using a
pirate dupe of a feature film. The off air rules are if anything more
specific on this and clearly state that you can only use something off air
for Either 30 or 60 days ( I forget which). I think EVEN Gary will agree on
this one because there is no grey area on this

The ONLY thing the guy is right about is that there is ZERO chance
PBS would give him permission to use it. I don't know of any MAJOR
Rights holder that would, though I think some independent folks might
Image to to contrary PBS is NOT noted for its generosity in this area

One extra bit of irony is that it very well could be that it is not
been released because they could not afford to clear the music as that
is really, really expensive

Anyway cope with the guy as best you can but again this is not
A tough one, off air copies ARE illegal after the first period of use

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503