RE: [Videolib] who is streaming videos

Milewski, Steven (smilewsk@utk.edu)
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:16:15 -0400

Somewhat related to this, can any one point me toward some good sites
that discuss streaming and copyright?

Thank you, Steven

Steven Milewski
Lib. Sup.
Hodges Library Media Center
University of Tennessee
smilewsk@utk.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Gary Handman
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 11:46 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] who is streaming videos

Hi Cindy

There was a survey that wend out on videolib a few months back re this.

Projection in a classroom has nothing to do with bandwidth, per se. If
your classrooms have suitably fast network connections (at least 10mb,
but preferably 100 or more) you should stream just fine.

Gary

At 09:21 AM 7/20/2006, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I need to find out what universities are streaming videos and what
>system they are using. I don't need to know about leasing like Films on

>Demand from FFH. I need to know which universities are actually paying
>for the copyrights to stream a particular title and hosting it in their
server.

>We are starting to do so, but we are having difficulties with bandwidth

>and other problems. So the technology people is looking to buy some
>tools or whatever to be able to do it. At this point what we have in
>streaming works well if somebody is watching in an individual computers

>but does not work to show in a classroom because it can't be projected
>due to the amount of bandwidth we have and others.
>
>You can reply to me directly
>Thanks o much
>Cindy

>Cindy Badilla-Melendez
>Media Resources Librarian
>O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library,
>University of St. Thomas
>phone (651) 962-5464
>fax (651) 962-5406

>libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will
>serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a
>channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions,
>and video producers and distributors.

UC Berkeley

*****

spectacles."