Re: [Videolib] who is streaming videos

Brigid Duffy (bduffy@sfsu.edu)
Thu, 20 Jul 2006 12:08:35 -0700

--Apple-Mail-1--978343415
delsp=yes;
format=flowed

December 7-8, 2005.

Brigid Duffy
San Francisco State University

On Jul 20, 2006, at 11:02 AM, Gary Handman wrote:

> No...I sent out a survey of libraries who were streaming and got a
> handful of replies, which I posted. Anyone remember the date?
>
> Gary
>
> At 10:32 AM 7/20/2006, you wrote:
>> I think the previous survey had more to do with the companies who
>> were offering streaming services, no? This sounds like the flip
>> side of the coin. Unless I'm missing something... I'm looking
>> forward to hearing more about who's doing their own licensing
>> negotiations (i.e. not relying on a commercial intermediary). I
>> can only imagine how difficult / complicated this would be, so any
>> stories / anecdotes would definitely be interesting.
>>
>> Best,
>>

>> *************************
>> Meghann Matwichuk, M.S.
>> Senior Assistant Librarian
>> Instructional Media Collection Department
>> Morris Library, University of Delaware
>> 181 S. College Ave.
>> Newark, DE 19717
>> (302)
>> 831-1475
>>

>> Gary Handman wrote:
>>> Hi Cindy
>>>
>>> There was a survey that wend out on videolib a few months back re
>>> this.
>>>
>>> Projection in a classroom has nothing to do with bandwidth, per
>>> se. If your classrooms have suitably fast network connections
>>> (at least 10mb, but preferably 100 or more) you should stream
>>> just fine.
>>>

>>> Gary

>>> Gary Handman
>>> Director
>>> Media Resources Center
>>> Moffitt Library
>>> UC Berkeley
>>> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
>>> http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>>>
>>> *****
>>>
>>> "In societies where modern conditions of production prevail,
>>> all of life presents itself as an immense accumulation
>>> of spectacles."
>>> --Guy Debord
>>>
>>> VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion
>>> of issues relating to the selection, evaluation,
>>> acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of
>>> current and evolving video formats in libraries and related
>>> institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an
>>> effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel
>>> of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and
>>> video producers and distributors.
>> Gary Handman
>> Director
>> Media Resources Center
>> Moffitt Library
>> UC Berkeley
>> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
>> http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>>
>> *****
>>
>> "In societies where modern conditions of production prevail,
>> all of life presents itself as an immense accumulation
>> of spectacles."
>> --Guy Debord

--Apple-Mail-1--978343415

December 7-8, 2005.

Brigid Duffy
San = Francisco State University

On Jul 20, = 2006, at 11:02 AM, Gary Handman wrote:

No...I = sent out a survey of libraries who were streaming and got a handful of = replies, which I posted.=A0 Anyone remember the date?

= Gary

At 10:32 AM 7/20/2006, you wrote:
I think the previous survey had = more to do with the companies who were offering streaming services, no?=A0= This sounds like the flip side of the coin.=A0 Unless I'm missing = something...=A0 I'm looking forward to hearing more about who's doing = their own licensing negotiations (i.e. not relying on a commercial = intermediary).=A0 I can only imagine how difficult / complicated this = would be, so any stories / anecdotes would definitely be = interesting.

Best,

=
Gary Handman wrote:
Hi Cindy

There was a survey that wend out on videolib = a few months back re this.

Projection in a classroom has = nothing to do with bandwidth, per se.=A0 If your classrooms have = suitably fast network connections (at least 10mb, but preferably 100 or = more) you should stream just fine.

Gary

[...]

=A0=A0=A0=A0= =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 all of life presents itself as an immense = accumulation of spectacles."
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0= --Guy Debord=A0

[...]

= --Apple-Mail-1--978343415-- VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.